Phase One 16MP StudioKit Digital Back ?!

aodphotography

<p>Hi there!<br>

I have just found an ad for a Phase One StudioKit (coming with a whole Hassy), but the info I have and the photos just don't seem to match what I know about the items...<br>

http://www.segundamano.es/barcelona/hasselblad-con-digital-studio-kit-scanback-phase-o/a17966279/?ca=8_s<br>

The back doesn't look like anything I know, and even though it says StudioKit on it, I remember them to look a bit different...<br>

But the more intriguing part is the 16MP resolution: I asked the sellers, who confirmed me that it is a <strong>16MP</strong> StudioKit back, which I did not know existed, and of which I don't seem to find any traces. As far as I knew, the StudioKit came only as a 6MP 16bit resolution (and back in the days, it was a lot...). They also assured me that the back was MacOs X compatible using Capture One, whereas the Phase One website states that the StudioKit/PhotoPhase/PowerPhase backs using SCSI connexions cannot be used outside of the MacOs Classic environment (which I'm not even sure really exists in Snow Leopard anymore!).<br>

Anyway: all a bit confusing to me - can anyone shed some light onto the matter? I wouldn't mind taking my Hassy into the wide digital world, but I wouldn't want to end up being frustrated by equipment that doesn't do the job (and cost money, too).</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for your help!</p>

<p>A.</p><div>00Vh6q-217685584.jpg.7f795352dd475e3f11562bd2dc4c105b.jpg</div>

<p>Check out this link for the Phase One StudioKit manual:<br /> <br /><a href="http://69.64.47.32/14664db6-e43a-4f7b-b5bb-02380a1439a1/05201845-c1cd-4537-a2e8-e80774c75839/Studiokit_Manual.pdf">http://69.64.47.32/14664db6-e43a-4f7b-b5bb-02380a1439a1/05201845-c1cd-4537-a2e8-e80774c75839/Studiokit_Manual.pdf</a><br /> <br />The studio kit is made for a 4x5" standard large format camera, and the manual shows it mounted on a Sinar 4x5. I'm not sure how they have it mounted onto the Hassy, but the sensor size is 7x10cm, so there must be some overlap. The PhaseOne info says it shoots 2500x3600 pixels per color, which is 9MP x 3 channels, or 27MP total, at 12 bit depth.<br /> <br />The file size is 25.7 MB and takes 3 minutes to scan and transfer 1 file to computer. The files output as 24bit TIFF. I believe that you can only work with still stubjects, as I think it is a slow-scan process. You need to open the shutter on "bulb" when working with the StudioKit.</p>

<p>Thanks!<br>

I had seen the manual, but was still wondering how the lower part of the back vanished and how we gained connexion to a Hasselblad V back... Phase One does reference a StudioKit for Hasselblad in their serial code list, though: http://xchange.phaseone.com/Content/Support/Article.aspx?articleid=1432&languageid=1<br>

My mistake about the resolution data - I must have been thinking about the Lightphase when writing it. Supposedly, StudioKits are indeed 2,500 x 3600, i.e. a 9 MP 10 bit image (so the Phase One website)... but maybe they issued a Large Format version as well as a (lesser-known?) Medium Format version?<br>

Ah, there are just way too many backs out there (not to mention way too many figures on their usual price tag, too!).</p>

<p>From looking at it I'll venture that at minimum you'd also a compatible SCSI card and a tethered computer. Chances are excellent that the recommended 100% compatable cards and the computer OS the back's drivers would have required are many years obsolete. (e.g. the OS software could have irrepairably coughed up the drivers via software updates unless a specific computer was dedicated to this task/not connected to the Internet, etc.)<br>

If it doesn't come with all of the above and isn't demonstrated to be working-- walk away. </p>

<p>I have a Studio Kit that I bought 4 years ago for $300. I run it with a G3 Lombard Powerbook running OS9. OSX has spotty SCSI support and the Lombard was the last powerbook that had built in SCSI support. While you can easily buy Macs that will fit your needs (very inexpensively), I wouldn't have considered this back if I didn't already have the powerbook. In fact, it allowed me to resurrect a computer that had been retired.</p>

<p>You need to make sure that you have the proper filter mine is a Phase One TG1 for tungsten light (There is one for daylight balanced lights, but I forgot the number). The price of the filter, if missing, is probably more than the back should cost now. If it is complete and functioning, it should be a very good introduction to studio digital photography.</p>

<p>Hardware requirements are os9 and scsi. I've used my 4x5 studio kit on laptops on location as well as a dedicated G4 in the studio. Scsi adapters range from the built in scsi on a wallstreet to a PCMCIA Power Domain and Adaptec and ATTO Mac PCI cards. As long as OS9 supports it, it will work fine. Filters are TG1 for tungsten and AR1 for daylight, without the filters, you would need a hot mirror filter and about cc30 cyan for tungsten, just the hot mirror for daylight will get you in the ballpark. Besides the filters, make absolutely certain a power supply comes with it, while it's easy to fabricate the SCSI/power 37 pin cable, if you aren't comfortable with high quality soldering and electronic fab, best to not attempt.</p>

<p> The resolution of a scanback is deceiving, while the 4x5 Studio kit is only 9mp, due to the lack of an AA and Bayer pattern filter, uprezzing 2-3x is extremely workable and indistinguisable from a DLSR image from an image quality standpoint. I recently bought a Dicomed FieldPro (6000x7250) and will be looking to sell my PhaseOne at some point. If you have the right subject (still life, product work), adequate quantities of light (think multiKW tungsten or 400W HMI), they are capable of absolutely stunning image quality.</p>