First street experience, in Richmond, VA

<p>My college photo club took a trip to Richmond, VA this past weekend, so I got to try my hand at street photography for the first time. I was expecting it to be hard, and it didn't disappoint! I'm not nearly bold enough to take photos of strangers generally, so I was way outside my comfort zone. But I do want to keep trying. Attached is my favorite from the excursion.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I hate to sound like some kind of self help guru on some infomercial, but if you go into something expecting it to be hard, then most likely it will be. Self fulfilling prophecy or something to that effect. The point is that SP is most enjoyable when you can clear your head and just be open to whatever unfolds in front of you. I like your shot above so you are off to a good start.<br>

The only way it gets any easier is just by doing it enough so that your reactions and responses become almost like a reflex, simply an extension of your personality. Kind of like automatic writing. This doesn't mean ones photographs get any better (boy don't I wish it did though) it just means it makes the process easier by getting you out of your head. At least when this happens, it makes it a bit easier to see potential pictures.</p>

<p>Yeah, just keep doing it for a while see what you think, if you are so inclined actually talk to people. It's fun, and you may broaden your experience. If you have a friend to go with you, especially another photographer, that often helps with feeling more secure, and it's a fun exercise. Nothing like have a beer with a friend after shooting for a few hours. But if you are one of those that needs to get off by yourself, do it. It can be obsessive, it can also be fun too.</p>

<p>Street photography can be some of the most rewarding times you will spend with your camera. After all, people are extremely interesting. I would just say, though, that you might want to be careful taking pictures of other people's children. Asking permission often takes away the spontaneity, but it's better than ending up in jail.</p>