55/3.5, 90 LS, 135, 165/2.8, 300/4 and various other stuff like a

vest, films, caps etc.). It's just the right bag for me and I will

constantly (mis)use it for anything but the purpose it was designed

for (i.e. trekking). I am asking everybody who has owned it (or, no

doubt, still does) about any potential go-wrongs on this backpack,

like for instance the Y-shaped CollarCut Harness breaking, or anything

this bag is prone to do in its time of normal use (you know, like

Pentax 67 is going to develop a film transport problem if not wound

with a little care). What's your experience?

I have the LowePro PhotoTrekker AW, but I think my experience will be applicable.

The bag is of excellent quality. It is bulletproof in terms of construction. I routinely load mine up with 30 kg of MF gear, and have no problems.

The issues I have are:

1) I have never come up with an optimum way of setting up the dividers. They are forever moving around unless the thing is fully loaded.

2) The AW feature is a little optimistic, to say the least. I was hiking in Maine a couple of summers ago, and it started to rain. I put on the cover, and kept hiking. Guess what? Absolutely everything inside was wet, really wet.

I called lowepro, and they said "they had never heard of such a thing". I can't believe that ...

My regular Trekker has held up well to lots of travel and is usually fully packed! The zippers all still work fine and the harness, belt and shoulder strap so no signs of wear or weakness. The only downside of the Super Trekker is that it's bigger than most (all?) airlines will currently allow for carry-on. If you travel much by air that could be a problem since most airlines are getting a lot stricter about carry-on size these days.

I had the Super Trekker and never encountered any problems with it. I eventually replaced it with the Pro Trekker because by the time I filled the Super with equipment it was too heavy for me to carry comfortably.

LowePro makes terrific bags and I would be suprised if you ever had any trouble.

By the way, inquiring minds want to know...why do you carry 3 P67's?

First of all, I don't shoot medium format yet, but I have a LowePro Photo Trekker AW and the smaller Nature Trekker (AW). Both are very well made. I used the Photo Trekker in Antarctica in bad weather and had no problems. The AW rain cover works very well.

As Bob points out, the Super Trekker is larger than what airline carry-on limit permits. If they enforce the limits, you might have problems. As far as I know. the Pro Trekker is the largest LowePro backpack that is within the limits. In any case, those two backpacks are very heavy if fully loaded with camera gear.

• 7 years later...