Should I have said yes?

<p>A friend of mine (who's a partner in a law firm) recently contacted me, knowing I was into photography, and asked if I would be willing to take some pictures of their firm's new associate to put on their web site. I declined and said that though I appreciate the consideration, I feel I am too much of a beginner to undertake the job. I'm sure I could have gotten a decent shot eventually, but it would have taken much longer and with more trial and error than a pro would have needed (and I would have had to rent some equipment). I didn't want to waste their time with what would have really been a learning excersize for me. I'm sure for a pro this would have been a run of the mill, 20 minute shoot.</p>

<p>After having that conversation, I started noticing lots of posts such as "I have this shoot coming up and have no idea what to do", etc. Is this common? Is this how photographers really get their start? Should I forgo practising at home and really just jump right in? Any thoughts are appreciated.</p>

<p>I'd say since it was a friend of yours maybe you could have tried to have gotten your feet wet with this one? Maybe explain to your friend your nervousness and limitations and he/she would understand? Maybe do it for free or very small rate, e.g. lunch or drinks?<br>

Then again, since it is your friend, maybe don't put him/her in a uncomfortable situation?</p>

<p>Always do what you're comfortable with doing. That doesn't mean don't push yourself, but you have to be the judge as to where something falls in your level of ability and comfort zone. But knowing the difference between when it is outside of your abilities and just not outside your comfort zone is key for anyone wanting to be a pro. You will often be in the latter as a pro and if you are experienced, rarely in the former.</p>

<p>"After having that conversation, I started noticing lots of posts such as "I have this shoot coming up and have no idea what to do", etc. Is this common? Is this how photographers really get their start? Should I forgo practising at home and really just jump right in? Any thoughts are appreciated."</p>

<p>This is one of the problems I see with digital photography. Someone buys a DSLR, puts it on auto and shoots a few hundred photos, and then thinks they're a professional photographer. This is a disaster waiting to happen.</p>

<p>IMO you did the right thing in declining the shoot. You knew you were not ready to take on the job and followed your best instincts. You'll know when you are ready to take on assignments. You'll be very familiar with your equipment, have the right equipment for the job, and be confident in your photographic ability. This all takes time and practice, practice, and more practice. You'll get there at some point and you'll make great photos, it just takes practice.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I started noticing lots of posts such as "I have this shoot coming up and have no idea what to do", etc. Is this common?</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Alas, it is! But photography Darwinism is a powerful force. The folks who hire someone who's in over their head will quickly see that, and not make the mistake a second time. And hopefully the photographer who's in over their head won't make that mistake again, either. Some seem immune from that reality check ... though they're a minority, I think.<br /><br />The biggest problem with amateur/newbie-referred-by-a-friend arrangements is that it often comes at a dire cost to the friendship, later. Always tread carefully, there, no matter which side of the equation you're on.</p>

<p>Everyone has to start somewhere - and so long as expectations are carefully managed to be realistic, I don't see a problem with this sort of setup. But as others have said here, what is important is what you felt about the prospects.</p>

<p>I have found in architecture that I used to get asked all the time for private work at a time when I did not feel at all comfortable about doing it - so I never took the jobs. Not quite sure how, but the offers started drying up, no matter where I lived (not via word of mouth). I could do with the private work now, and will probably put some feelers out.</p>

<p>The long and short of it is, whenever / if ever you want to start out in a venture such as photography, it is only natural (for some of us) to question our abilities and have a degree of a lack of confidence. At some point, if that's the way you want to head - you just need to take the plunge, be honest and up-front (with a slight spin of positiveness - no one wants to commission someone who appears to have no confidence in themselves) and build on experience.</p>

<p>Good luck,<br>

Martin</p>

<p>A couple of years ago, I was offered a fairly lucrative portrait shoot by a friend.</p>

<p>I regret turning it down, but that may have been the right thing to do at the time. Now I know my strengths and weaknesses better, I'm more inclined to say yes to commissions that would stretch me and to shoot them in my own style. <br>

I think I would still say no to something where I would feel totally out of my depth, but perhaps at the limit of our comfort zone and of our competence is where we start developing as photographers.</p>

<p>Keep up the good work as shown in your PN portfolio, and another opportunity will come along. Portrait photography requires a good understanding of lighting techniques, whether using just soft window light, indirect natural indoor light or more sophisticated off-camera flash bounces and soft boxes. I knew enough of this to make it an easy decision to turn down a request to shoot a wedding for a friend. I am primarily an outdoor photographer, and don't have the equipment for weddings. Several years ago I photographed at an old-west branding for friends, all on black & white film, running two Nikon cameras. I mainly photographed the people. Later I did some b&w portrait work inside the house using only window light, and was very pleased with the results. Try some indirect window-light portraits, maybe with a little soft off-camera fill flash.</p>

<p><em>"This is one of the problems I see with digital photography. Someone buys a DSLR, puts it on auto and shoots a few hundred photos, and then thinks they're a professional photographer. This is a disaster waiting to happen."</em><br>

This is the exact reason I left the business of photography. I was only a weekend warrior, so I can only imagine what those that try to put food on the table doing it have to deal with.<br>

I applaud you in turning it down because you didn't feel like you were ready. Because it was a friend, it would have probably been ok, but I like a person that knows his limitations.</p>

<p>I think you probably did the right thing, but then again you might have sold yourself short. A possibility would have been to respond to the offer with something like 'I'm not very good at portraits (yet), but if you'll understand that this might not come out well, I'm willing to try'. That way, everyone is up-front and honest, and you'd get a chance to meet a new challenge, grow your skills, and learn something new.</p>

<p>My long suffering wife is likely to buy/steal a mannequin to be her stand-in for when I play with my next hare-brained lighting scheme. Never before has a woman's pixie smile been immortalized so often in so many different ways. But lately, I've been detecting just the slightest bit of scowl, maybe a hint of displeasure at being dragged away from her day for those few minutes.</p>

<p>Dan, a photo shoot really isn't the time or place to experiment or fiddle with unfamiliar equipment. Rather than turn down the request, maybe schedule it far enough out so you can play with the lights a little before plopping someone in front of them. Learn to have it all set up, and get the young assiciate back to his billable work as pleasantly and as quickly as you can. It's not all that difficult to get a pleasing likeness, but your first few attempts might not be among your very best work when you look back.</p>