Help archiving film

<p>I have a fair bit of 35mm and 120mm film (b&w, e6 and c41) that I need to "properly" store. I have searched the archives and web, but have not found a solution that fits my intended workflow. I recognize I may not be going about this the right way - tips appreciated.<br>

My immediate challenge is approximately 70 rolls of sleeved 120mm slide film. I would like to cut the sleeves and film into 2 frame segments (the largest my scanner can handle). I would like to store each roll in an envelope, and then store those envelopes in an appropriate box. I am not confident that my current side-entry sleeves are sufficiently inert for long term storage, so new sleeves might be necessary.<br>

Is there a better way? If not, I need a recommendation on envelopes that are low dust, non-acid, low out-gas, etc. And also a box. Would metal be better than fiber? Should the box have a desiccant? I would like to do the same with my 35mm, but the strips would be longer.<br>

I don't like printfile page sleeves. Sliding the film in and out of sleeves along the long axis is too prone to scratching. And binders don't seem to hold the page sleeves flat, etc.</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Look at Light Impressions. You can use <a href="http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/foldlock-sleeves-polypropylene-4-x-5-format/protective-sleeves-prints-negatives-records/">FoldLock sleeves</a> of either Polypropylene or Polyester. A roll worth of those sleeves then goes in a <a href="http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/negative-file-folders/archival-file-folders-storage/">Negative File Folder</a> . Then you file those in a 4 x 5 x 10 inch <a href="http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/tan-truecore-fliptop-box-4-x-5-x-10/flip-top-storage-boxes/">FlipTop box</a> . All are made of archival materials.<br>

They also sell a "<a href="http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/truecore-box-filmbin-kit-120-film/film-bins-truecore-boxes/">packaged</a> " version.<br>

They are a great company, and while they just revised their website, it's still a lousy way to learn about their products. Get a paper catalog.<br>

This is how I keep my most valuable negatives. By the way, the Polyester sleeves are much less likely to melt in the case of a fire, but are a lot more expensive.<br>

A less expensive approach is to stick with Polyester or Polyproplyene FoldLock sleeves for the negatives, but store them in PrintFile Ultima pages, which are large enough to hold sleeved negatives. The Ultima pages are available in 135 and 120 sizes.</p>

<p>Brian, I have a very similar situation - sleeved 120 film (6x7 in my case) that I have cut into two frame sections for scanning purposes. Since the sleeving is archival (I researched types and then bought a roll of the material), I figure that I am most of the way "there" already in terms of protecting the negatives. As for archival storage, one solution I am trying out is similar to what John Shriver suggested above, only a different brand - Archival Methods. The sleeved two-frame strips go into these short folders: http://www.archivalmethods.com/Product.cfm?categoryid=0&Productid=81 If you have 6x7 images like me, the 22-400 size is the one you want. Each of these is just long enough and tall enough to hold 2-frame strips of <em>sleeved </em> 6x7 film, and can easily hold the 5 strips you get from one 120 roll. If your format is larger than that you will probably need the 22-201 folders.</p>

<p>These folders can then go into archival boxes such as these from Archival Methods: http://www.archivalmethods.com/product.cfm?productid=64. I'm sure the Light Impression versions shown above work fine too. This approach of using archival containers at each "level" of storage is probably the best way to go if you are a stickler for insuring the film lasts as long as possible.</p>

<p>But the question comes up as to whether the sleeves themselves provide enough of a protective layer and whether you really need to worry about what kind of box, bin, drawer, or whatever you put them into after that. If you think the archival sleeves are enough, then I have found that there is a standard envelope size (No. 6-3/4) which happen to be the just the right size to fit the 2-frame strips. In fact, I bought a box of 80 Mead Security Envelopes in this size for only a dollar (from the local dollar store). These envelopes (one per roll) are well sized to be filed away in an ordinary shoe-box. This is amazingly convenient and inexpensive. But I will to defer to the archival gurus as to whether this method is "archival enough", or just false economy. As I said before, putting the sleeved strips into archival folders which then go into archival boxes is the safest bet if there are any doubts.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Thank you for the help and ideas! I am shooting 6x7. It sounds like I'm on the right track with envelopes and boxes.<br>

It goes without saying that I would prefer to minimize my 'cost per frame'. If I was just archiving the best images, it wouldn't be such an issue. But it makes the most sense (to me) to archive each roll together. Partially because each roll represents a particular place and time. Though I suppose certain frames could be archived separately and differently, even if in the same box.<br>

I have found regular paper envelopes to be quite dusty - too dusty. I'm sure it varies by manufacturer and box. Of course it isn't something most people would notice...I suppose they could be blown out. Maybe I just need to buy better envelopes.<br>

So acid free envelopes and boxes it is.<br>

I am still ignorant on whether a metal box would provide more protection from fumes, etc, of any type (whether smoke from a fire, or whatever).. Whether a desiccant is a good idea. Etc. More reading to b e done..</p>