If you could apprentice/intern with any photographer...

<p>Absolutely nobody, except for the friendships. There comes a time when you get, Key lights and practicals, highlights and shadow details, specular vs diffused highlights, specular and diffused lighting, specular and diffused surfaces, and you would just like to travel the world, explore and shoot.<br>

I do have weak spots in electronic flash operation with TTL, never have worked with it. Worked with multiple manual flash light a little, mostly with Film and video production lighting. Need mostly financial freedom, time and good company. I wouldn't mind sitting in on a seance to listen to an Ansel Adams lecture (can they do that?), seems like a cheerful fellow with a strong point of view.<br>

Best wishes to all</p>

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>No question on that topic...but it would definitely be two photographers.. My interest is in travel and nature photography. For travel photography my choice would be Bob Krist. I have atttended one of his seminars, have his DVDs on lighting and I am addicted to his Blog. Bob is the consumate prepared travel photographer. He always photographs with a plan and a mission.<br>

For nature photography I would love to intern with Colorado photographer Russ Burden. I attended a seminar in which Russ was one of the leaders. He showed me and others ideas for macro photography that I never would have thought of. Russ is really patient with his students, but his adrenalin level is high at the same time.</p>

<p>Toughie. I have two distinctly different goals.</p>

<p>The adventurer and people photographer in me would go for Steve McCurry, Jodi Cobb or any of the great National Geographic photographers working in the documentary/people genre. I love intimate documentary photography, but I feel that I've never quite gotten past this plateau I've been stuck on for almost 20 years, not really improving my "eye". It would help to observe someone like them to study how they see things, interact with people and choose situations.</p>

<p>And the fine art b&w junkie in me would like to tag along after Michael Kenna or Rolfe Horn. I like both styles equally (they're similar, like haiku, but each with a different voice). Their styles are so different from mine - I tend to be cluttered - it would help push me to see composition and printing differently. Of the two, I get a sense from Horn's clear illustrated tutorials on his website that one could learn a lot from watching and assisting him. I've referred others to his site many times for that very reason.</p>

<p>I would agree with Tim earlier and say Sebastiao. i get really inspired with his work although the original inspiration for me getting into photography was the fact that my parents barely took any pictures of our family when I was growing up leaving us with barely any memories of the past except what's burnt into our brain cells.<br>

I hate seeing how most interns are treated as slaves though which has always discouraged me from interning with anyone. I'm not good since I just taught myself with everything on photography. I'd have to say most of the things i know were picked up from photo.net haha...</p>

<p>Alec Soth www.alecsoth.com. I would learn a lot about how to interact with human subjects. He's written about the phenomenon of shooting 8x10 and the freedom of staying under the hood, staring at people for twenty minutes or more. I would love to watch this happen. His results are stunning, I can't get over it. I would actually probably have to be a fly on the wall rather than an intern, because he doesn't use assistants and must have some special interpersonal alchemy going on.</p>

<p>I did this 30 years ago with a photographer that inspired me and so happy I did. I think the old fashioned way like an apprentice is the best way to go.<br>

Funny, some young person called me two weeks ago and said he saw my work on-line and was wondering if I would teach, mentor him. I would love to help someone that has this passion as my mentor did for me. At the end of the conversation he asked how much I was going to pay him per hour. I thought that was pretty rude of him to ask and I cut him short after that.</p>