Nikon WedNEsDAy PiC 2010: #5

Matt Laur

<p><strong>Jeannean B</strong>, Lovely photo of the roadrunner, beep-beep, but no apologies needed for supposed "another roadrunner" photo. You like birds n' bugs, thats what you like and enjoy taking photos of and they are all different and lovely, and as everyone has probably noticed the pattern, everyone here has a theme, a favourite subject. I think people take better photos of the subjects they actually like, thats the way it goes. I like aviation related subjects and I always will, others here are stricly portrait, others landscape, others sports photographers etc. So you keep dishing up them birds n' bugs. (do they really run fast and make those 'beep-beep' noises ?). Incidentally, must say on your last weeks amber photo, don't make that same mistake with the extra '0' on the price if you go and buy any new Nikon stuff, that could be a very expensive mistake ! The amber always reminds me of "Jurassic Park" and the amber encrusted mosquito from which they took the dino-DNA !</p>

<p><strong>Aguinaldo</strong>- Lovely bird capture<br /><strong>Hamish </strong>-Spectaular scenery<br /><strong>Thomas G</strong>- great concert shot<br /><strong>Tom P</strong> - beautiful sunset<br /><strong>John M</strong>- Lovely duck shot, yes that water is so clear !<br /><strong>Thomas B</strong>- That building front looks exactly like that the Natuaral History Museum in London<br /><strong>Nick D</strong>- Nice photo but apart from the fact that that looks so painful, your 'street' performers seem to be dangling somewhere over the sea ?<br /><strong>Ian</strong> - (no other details ) is that a dead man ?</p>

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>The pictorial diversity and camaraderie are the two things I enjoy most on this forum.<br />Congratulations to Tim Holte (a regular poster on this forum) on being awarded his 4<sup>th</sup> POW for his “Dog walker at sunrise” which featured as part of WedNEsDAy PiC #49. Tim and Daniel Bayer are the only members on Photo.net to have received this award four times. No member has received five POWs.<strong></strong><br /><strong></strong><br /><strong>Catching up on recent threads</strong><br /><strong></strong><br /><strong>WedNEsDAy PiC #3</strong><br />The things I liked in the following shots …<br />Boris Milijevic – rain and the colour<br />Dallas McVicker – bird’s pose and eye contact<br />Doug Santo – church and cloud in B&W<br />Greg Jones – baby’s pose and background<br />John Harper – wide angle view of train, colours and cloud<br />Joesph Leotta – great atmosphere and in B&W<br />Pedro Cardoso – self-portrait, colours and shading<br />Roberta Robertson – two birds, sadly one with a nail<br>

<br /><strong>WedNEsDAy PiC #4</strong><br />The things I liked in the following shots …<br />Aguinaldo de Paula – beach scene, sky and umbrella<br />Alan Cring – portrait of man expression<br />Boris Milijevic – shadow effect on champ<br />Dieter Schaeffer – colourful background in bird image<br />Hayley Karl – grandmother’s contemplation at 95<br />Jennifer Meighan – rich and vibrant colours<br />Juhano Niva – child’s boredom and viewpoint<br />Mark Gordon – two birds, sadly one with a nail<br />Michael Durkin – snow boarder and sky<br />Narayan Kovvali – IR effect of blue sky and snow white trees<br />Nicolaie Costel – Sandra Bulloch (look-a-like :) to my eyes)<br />Oskar Ojala – close-up view of a snow flake<br />Peng Wichakool – snow flaked rail composition in B&W<br />Ray Gosalia – cheeky smile and effect of “stamp” frame<br />Richard Karesh – afternoon light on awnings<br />Tim Holte – foggy monotone scene against bright red umbrella<br /><br /><strong>WedNEsDAy PiC #5</strong><br />The things I liked in the following shots …<br />Adam Zyto – nice fisheye view looking outside and red door<br />Arthur Richardson – disassociation of the man and the background<br />Bill J Boyd – flight of pelican and background<br />Dieter Schaefer – behaviour of pelican and background<br />Eddy Furlong – impression of the young lady holding up the lamp<br />Francesco Pessolano – effect of broken glass on background<br />Gej Jones – framing of the pier, aspect and light<br />Hamish Gray – colour change and composition<br />Ilkka Nissila – close-up effect of the icicles in B&W<br />Jana Hughes – composition and effect of monochrome blue on your boy<br />Jeannean Buglady – effect of blurred foreground and expression of the road runner<br />Kent Shafer – flawless passport photo :)<br />Lawrence Ho – Pinocchio’s expression<br />Matt Laur – awesome knife, apple reflection shot to start the thread<br />Mircea C – exquisite take on “The Last Mohican”<br />Narayan Kovvali – subtle tones and colours of the sunset and the placement of the sun<br />Sankha Hota – colours of the inverted hibiscus<br />Steve Hughes – expression of the bird<br />Thomas Gerstendoerfer – Composition of concert and the lighting effect<br />Tom Mann – sharpness of the shades and tones in the snow/tree composition in B&W<br /><br />The above compilation confirms in my mind what I feel is true for me. Every week there are different things to like about different photographs taken by different photographers. I also like it when the moderators (such as Lex and Shun) post their photos because it makes me think that they are also part of the team and having fun.</p>

<p><strong>Jeannean</strong>, Oops, slight correction to my comments about the amber photo. That should have been for <strong>Rene' V</strong>. Got my peoples mixed up here !<br>

So <strong>Rene',.... </strong>must say on your last weeks amber photo, don't make that same mistake with the extra '0' on the price if you go and buy any new Nikon stuff, that could be a very expensive mistake ! The amber always reminds me of "Jurassic Park" and the amber encrusted mosquito from which they took the dino-DNA !</p>

<p>There are so many great works. It's very hard to pick, but my favorite this week are:</p>

<p>Jeannean - your bird pics are as good as bug pics!<br>

Mikhail - nice angle of a handsome bird,<br>

Lil - um, where is the bird? Kidding. I like mushroom, too.<br>

Epp B - nice texture.<br>

Tiffany - I normally don't comment on people photo, but this one really got it.<br>

Aguinaldo - Sharp!<br>

Hamish - nice, cold and foggy scene.<br>

Neven - a great moment photo, as always.<br>

Dieter - nice pelican dance!<br>

Ilkka - I like your cold icy scenes.<br>

Janne - interesting pattern.<br>

Tom M - wonderful snow scene.<br>

Mircea C - like a painting and want to hang on the wall.<br>

Kent - what everyone said!<br>

Tom Pernal - I like this sunset scene.<br>

David Love - very nice night photo.<br>

Tim Holte - very nice angle sepia photo.<br>

Gary McGhee - wonderful scenery with water reflection.<br>

Dallas McVicker - very nice poster-like photo.<br>

Doug Santo - nice wide angle.<br>

Shun - as always, nice capture of the moment.<br>

F Dial - well captured the light and color of sunset scene.<br>

Monika - well composed pattern.</p>

<p>I enjoyed the tour around the world this week again. But where are Joseph Leotta and Rene V??? I miss them both regulars.</p>

<p>See you next Wednesday.</p>

<p>my favorites this week:<br>

<strong>Narayan</strong> - again great shot, I really like the contrast between those hills/mountains<br>

<strong>Grant</strong> - very dramatic feeling in this pic<br>

<strong>Lawrence</strong> - I like the fact that Pinocchio looks like a real boy, just like in the original story<br>

<strong>Tiffany</strong> - just beatiful<br>

<strong>Neven</strong> - you nailed the timing here and the shadow just makes it even better...nice!<br>

<strong>Janne</strong> - again nice abstract picture....you've got the eye for these!<br>

<strong>Tom</strong> - great colours and nice silhuette</p>

<p>Many thanks to those that commented on my Roadrunner shot from this week. I appreciate the encouragement. I promise next week there will be something different. :)</p>

<p>Rene, glad to see you are no longer MIA. Now, we need to find Joseph. I hope he's ok. And speaking of MIA's, Chris Court promised a return. Chris, where are you?!</p>