K100d and travel lens options?

rob_hucker

<p>Hi there,<br>

I'm looking to purchase a really good all rounder for my travels. I love photos with small depth of field but obviously I will take all sorts of photos - landscape, portrait, close-ups...</p>

<p>I have narrowed it down to the SMC DA 40mm f/2.8 limited and the 70mm f/2.4 limited.<br>

I only want to take the one lens and size and weight have been important categories, not to mention the quality of these two.</p>

<p>Is it worth the cash buying these since I have an entry level camera? Will I still get good results from these lenses?<br>

Thank you for any help you can offer.<br>

Rob.</p>

<p>The sensor is the only thing that matters. The camera is merely the control layout and build. (edited to note there is a second factor, the processing engine of the camera, but if shooting RAW this is significantly minimized at lower ISO anyway)</p>

<p>So your entry level K100D will give as good of image results as a higher end camera with the same sensor, and that sensor was used in quite a few cameras in Nikon, Sony, and Pentax.</p>

<p>That said, the 70mm is a 105mm effective. if you are taking only 1 lens, this wouldn't be it. It would be fairly limiting indoors, and while it could be effective for (open) landcapes in the mountains, it isn't ideal for all landscapes as a general lens.</p>

<p>The 40mm on the other hand is pretty decent all around. it's 60mm equivalent so not quite portrait length, but close enough for head and shoulders, and indoor stuff. It would mimic pretty closely the old 55mm f/1.8 or f/2.0 but obviously a stop slower.</p>

<p>Decent for landscapes, certainly very good for open landscapes, good for using portrait orientation and shoot 2 images to create a wide angle landscape. Fast enough to isolate the subject wide open. I don't remember it's close focus off hand, but I'm sure it's pretty decent. I know one of Pentax strong points is the close focus of it's lenses.</p>

<p>Personally, I'd opt for the 35mm DA or the 31mm FA. I think these are slightly better for all around use if only taking one lens. The 35mm obviously would excel at closeups, and its extremely flat field and lack of distortion makes it equally excellent for panoramics and landscapes. It is still relatively fast and able to isolate.</p>

<p>Or see if you can track down a 35mm FA, it has a 9in close focus, and is an f/2 that is tack sharp wide open.</p>

<p>Pentax does lack something between the 21mm and 24-28mm. Although the 21mm is really an excellent lens for most things, it's only a 1/3 stop slower than the 40mm. It's actually the lens I leave on my camera most often.</p>

<p>A 24mm or 28mm would actually be ideal for your 1 lens kit, but alas, Pentax doesn't have such a lens. The closest you will get in current lens offerings is the 31mm FA.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Or perhaps the 43mm 1.9, not as wide as the 31, but cheaper (and smaller). Also, it's faster than the 40mm for DoF. I've taken it on hikes and a few trips as an only lens... usually I also have a 21mm with me, but as a one lens solution you could do worse=)<br>

I think really, you have to ask yourself what focal length you want, then you can determine which lense to get, what were your reasons for initially targeting the 40mm and the 70mm?</p>

<p>DA70 is a great lens, but as others noted; for most of us, it's too long to be an 'only' lens. Spending the money on glass even for your older body isn't a bad idea. DA40 is a pretty good choice, as would DA35/2.8 macro, FA43/1.9, FA31/1.8, FA35/2, DA21/3.2, FA28/2.8, or maybe find an autofocus Sigma 24/2.8 or 28/2.8, these were pretty good and compact.</p>

<p>As you say that size and weight are important, then get the DA40. I have had mine several years now and I still don't believe the quality that comes from this tiny gem. And, as stated already, the 70mm is just too long to have as a single lens.</p>

<p>I think that the 70 would be too long for an all-around lens, but the 40 can work well. I use the DA40 on a K2000 as a one-lens compact camera kit. The lens is great (as are all of the DA Limiteds). Here is a <a href="http://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/Photography/K2000Test/">link</a> to a gallery of shots I've been compiling as my way of testing the DA40/K2000 combo for use a one-lens compact camera. I've actually spent whole days shooting with just the DA 40 on my K20D as well, I think it's a great choice. </p>

<p>The DA21 would also be a good choice too, by the way. </p>

<p>I have a K100DS. The increased image quality of a limited lens with it is definitely noticable. Sometimes I wish I had a higher specced camera, but image quality has never been one of my concerns.</p>

<p>I bought the DA40 as a walk-around lens to use instead of the kit (I started with the Sigma kit lens). I found that I rarely went back to the kit lens, since the DA40's images looked so much nicer.</p>

<p>The next lens I bought was the DA21. I actually like this lens a little more than the DA40, but there are a lot of situations where it is just too wide. When travelling light, I usually take the camera and these two lenses. It makes a very compact kit.</p>

<p>I don't think it is the optimum kit, though. I use the DA21 the most, and when I want something longer I usually wish it was more than 40mm. I think that the DA21 and DA70 would make the ideal travel kit. The DA70 is definitely the next lens on my list.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, buying two limited lenses at once is a pretty deep bite in the pocketbook. The DA40 is a good all around lens, and the weird lens hood actually makes the camera really easy to handle. You can put your camera in and out of your bag without worrying with the lens cap, if you are in a place you will be needing it a lot.</p>

<p>To be honest, though. If you buy one limited lens, you are going to buy another one. It will just be a matter of time.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The next lens I bought was the DA21. I actually like this lens a little more than the DA40, but there are a lot of situations where it is just too wide. When travelling light, I usually take the camera and these two lenses. It makes a very compact kit.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I use a similar setup, although it's 21, 43, 90mm for a compact travel kit which I talked about <a href="http://mountainvisions.blogspot.com/2009/01/prime-time-in-memphis.html"><strong>here.</strong> </a></p>

<p>Pretty much one advantage no one ever talks about with the Limiteds or compact primes is the fact you aren't subject to the abitrary 5in rule (and no, thats not what she said).</p>

<p>By that I mean, many places spectators are not allowed to bring a camera with a lens of more than 5in total. sometimes the camera and lens need to be under 5 inches thick.</p>

<p>My setup passes that test, and thus, I will never be turned away from an event which is a huge relief.<br /> <br /></p>