Film

tara_nattress

<p>I currently own a Holga 120GCFN which takes, surprise surprise, 120 size film. I am going to be in italy for 10 days and in and out of hotels the whole time. My question is how to keep my film well preserved during my stay there and on the flight back. What is the best way to do this? I have been suggested storing the film in the bottem of my suitcase since it is a dark environment; but I don't know. I've read refridgerators are a good idea, but like i said we will be in and out of hotels. Any suggestions would be great :D. Thanks so much for your help in advance.</p>

<p>Make sure to keep it with your carry-on stuff on the plane. DO NOT check it with your luggage. For that short a trip, you won't need to go to any extra measures to to preserve the film. Refrigeration is primarily to preserve film over an extended period of time. It is best to keep it out of direct sunlight as much as possible, in order to lessen the likelihood of light leaks. Really, you don'tneed to worry yourself about refrigerating or anything. Enjoy both your trip and the Holga. I've had a good run with mine, though it's been on the shelf for a bit now. JR</p>

<p>Make sure you keep the used rolls from unrolling and keep them in the original boxes or wrap them in aluminum foil or something to keep light away, and then put those in a light tight container. Since 120 film isn't in metal cartridges like 35mm you need to be a bit more careful. When in airport security, ask for hand checks instead of x-rays.</p>

<p>We carry lead bags for our 35mm film. These are supposed to be good for four security checks and we have never had a problem. If worried, do what was suggested and ask for, politely!, a hand check.</p>

<p>Don't make my mistake years ago when I hand carried a table-top tripod. Folded and in its case it looked very much like a pistol and the TSA folks were correctly fingering their guns until I opened it!</p>

<p>You don't need refrigeration or a cooler. Just don't leave your film in direct sunlight or in a hot automobile.</p>

<p>Never, ever, ever put your film in a suitcase that might be checked. The X-ray machines for checked baggage are very powerful and they will ERASE your film.</p>

<p>The X-ray machines for carry-on baggage are designed to NOT harm film, but if you ask politely, the security people will check your film by hand so you can avoid putting it into the machine.</p>

<p>BE CAREFUL! A TSA employee once tried to actually OPEN the film (boxes of 4x5 film in my case). I had to argue with him forcefully until he relented. If you ask for a hand inspection be sure to SUPERVISE the inspection so they don't do something stupid. The inspector might be new on the job, and many young people today don't understand how film works and that it cannot be exposed to light.</p>