Leica 40mm F2 Summicron -C Lens Coding Question

brad_herman1

<p>I'm looking to pickup a Leica 40mm F2 Summicron - C Lens to be used on both my Leica film body as well as on my M8.2.<br>

Does anybody have one of these that they've bothered to get 6-bit coded? If so, do I just get it coded the same as the 35mm F2 Summicron or is there a different code? I looked at the chart and there was a code for the equivalent 40mm F2 Rokkor counterpart, but there was no mention of the Leica F2 Summicron. I know that it is a similar lens.<br>

Should I bother getting it coded for the M8.2? Also, what M8.2 framelines does it bring up?<br>

Thanks<br>

Brad</p>

<p>I don't know about the coding, but unless it has been modified it will bring up the 50mm framelines. Many of us grind the mount so that it will bring up the 35mm frame instead. A used example may or may not have been modified. The advantage of using the 35mm frame is that, on the M6 and MP, it is a perfect match for the 40mm field at distances greater than about 3M/ 10 feet.</p>

<p>Filing down is a 5 min job, you take off maybe a half millimeter. 35 mm frame lines are pretty close, though you won't get anything outside them as a safety margin. No need to code. </p>

<p>The hardest thing is adapting a filter holder because you do need the IR filter. You can force the thread on a standard 39mm filter and it will go on, but the pitch on the lens is slightly different, .75 instead of .5, so it won't go in all the way. You can find one of the old hood adapters and essentially make your own filter holder with the glass off a standard IR filter if you don't mind working a bit with a Dremel. </p>

<p>BTW the lens is wonderful but flares with or without a hood, so you gotta watch your light source. It is sharp and gives great definition, and at 1/6th the cost of the 35/2 is the best bargain around. About half of this folder, http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=954181, was shot with it on an M8.2. The lens was not coded.</p>