Buying at a Local Store or Online?

michael_w7

<p>Well I have little to no choice now. The only decent shop in my area does not handle many Olympus E-410 accessories and no lenses. I called another shop and asked if they carried any off brand flashes ie Vivitar, Promaster or Metz he informed me that there wasn't any made. Of course I had allready done my internet browsing and knew there were several choices. So be glad if you have a great store. I try to use them for a lot of my incidental purchases but sometimes as a semi- professional the bottom line is money.</p>

<p>About 5 years ago I felt sorry for my local camera shop so I decided to go there and help them out a little by spending some money. I wanted a 17-55 2.8 IS and when I notices the 1399.00 BEFORE taxes, I did an immediate about face and walked right out. The closed some 6 months later. B&H is awesome. I just returned my backup 7D for a complete replacement AND next day shipping along with a FREE battery and 8 GOG CF card. AGAIN, buy on-line from a known company. v/r Buffdr</p>

<p>Michael, i thought you were contemplating helping your local economy, which you should, but worrying about lens damage while shipping should be no worry for you. even if UPS plays soccer with the box at every distribution center, it doesn't come close to a 2 hour ride on a buss in an underdeveloped country. and many of us photogs have taken 40 + hour rides many times with no lens damage whatsoever. if your lens arrives broken it's the lens not the UPS.</p>

<p>Michael, I just went through the same dilemna in purchasing a couple of nice Tamron lenses and a Nikon D90. I asked some of the same questions in <a href="../casual-conversations-forum/00Vd5a">this post</a>. I ended up buying locally. Some of the responses may be of interest to you, especially in regards to sales/use tax.</p>

<p>Let the public entities take some cash out of the bank and pay their bills. Pick your public entity and google it along with "Comprehenisve Annual Financial Report" and you'll see they are all crying wolf . . .</p>

<p>Tempe, Arizona for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2009: $2.162 billion in assets, $917 million liabilities. Total Net assets $1.244 billion.<br>

State of California for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2008 (take your time why don't you): Total Net assets $34.969 billion.<br>

Let them sell some lenses like the rest of us to help balance their budget.</p>

<p>I live in LA so there are a number of large camera stores that stock just about everything one can imagine (except for darkroom items; for that Freestyle is the place to go). When I decided to purchase a second Nikon F2 body, I checked all the stores in LA including the monthly camera swap meet in Pasadena. All of the bodies I looked at looked like they were dragged behind a truck. The lowest price I saw for one of these bodies was $200. The highest was just over $300. One of the $200 bodies I looked at even had a broken self timer. I pointed this out and offered $100 but the seller countered back with $175. I thanked him and went on my way. I ordered a bargain graded F2 body from KEH for $99.00 plus $12.00 shipping. When the body arrived, I was floored! Except for a very small dent along the bottom edge, the camera was in mint condition. Nary a scuff or scratch, the foam looked new. I shot a few test rolls, no light leaks, exposures seemed consistent and correct. I don't know if the local stores are just arrogant or ignorant in their refusal to price their used products competitively, but I don't care. I've found this to be the case on many items non photography related. Despite the efforts of our current president and congress, the USA is still a free market country and the internet is simply another player on the field that offers competition which allows consumers more choices in how they wish to spend their money.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Here in California the law *requires* one to pay tax on out of state purchases.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Kelly, here in IL, sales tax is collected from the vendor, not the purchaser. I'm certain that Amazon didn't find aspecial loophole in tax laws. *Everybody* pays sales tax. It's just not an itemized line item on some invoices, being built into the item price instead. (Knowing this, I'm a little galled when I order things from Amazon that they've chosen to pay CA's special use or disposal surcharges on whatever is it was I ordered.) TANSTAAFL. Everybody pays. If you don't have local taxes, you're helping subsidize somebody else who does.</p>

<p>I have bought virtually every piece of equipment, (over $100 value), on-line. Your concerns are valid, but you must know the retailers reputation and return policy. I use BizRate to shop for price and only buy from top rated stores. I have returned items with no problems except a few extra hoops to jump through, (RA numbers, etc.), and return shipping. The reason to buy online is cost; saving hundreds on a purchase isn't uncommon. I can recommend Beach Camera; they have gotten the majority of my business with no problems whatsoever.</p>

<p>My position is pretty simple, assuming that you have a good local store nearby.</p>

<p>If you need personal advice and/or need to hold or try the equipment before buying, you obviously have need for a real "brick and mortar" store. It is in your interest to have such a store available to you, both now and in the long run. If I need to hold the gear or ask questions I always go to the local shop and ask my questions and try the gear... and then I make my purchase from them even if it costs a bit more. By getting advice and by being able to see and hold the stock that they keep on hand I have received additional value that is well worth the extra cost.</p>

<p>On the other hand, if I know exactly what I am going to purchase and have no intention of playing with the gear or asking questions before purchase, I buy from one or the other of the well-known online retailers.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>I should point out that both the high-end camera stores in my city have prices fairly close to B&H, at least on the things I've purchased, which makes the decision easier. I must admit, however, that I love B&H's brick-and-mortar store in New York. I don't live in New York, but I visit often and spend a lot of time cruising the aisles. And since I shop there, I don't feel guilty about buying there in addition to my local stores.</p>

<p>With me it all boils down to selection and availability. The closest camera store to me is 35 miles from my home. It is a good store and I like shopping there. Lots of good used stuff. The next closest place is near work which is about 70 miles from home, they only deal in used stuff. The other stores local to work think everything is made of solid gold.10% to 50% higher than I can get on line. I have learned not want something right now. I buy all my film on line not one local dealer has bulk B&W film forget large format film.<br>

Joe</p>

<p>In my case I always buy my photo stuff online because in my country going to the local stores is extremly expensive. Currently have buyed my body and a couple of lenses from amazon and adorama, and did not have any trouble or inconvinient and I also saved a huge amount of money. So I would say buy online.</p>

<p>unfortunately we only have one premier retail photography store in town. They are great. Have know owners for 25 years and done business there. THe problem though is about prices. The are always closer to full retail and they don't do much dealing. I am one that has pruchased , with grteat success, from Amazon and B&H. I also buy from Calumet photography. All done over the internet. SO far it has been a good way to buy for me .. Good service and much better prices. I couldn't have afforded some of the products I have purchased if purchased at our local store.</p>

<p>Jim D </p>

<p>I bought both my recent DSLR bodies from a local store. I've bought every L lens on-line from either the US or Alberta (I'm in Ontario).<br />I'd love to help out my local stores but when I can save hundreds of dollars on buying a lens ( I just saved $700 on buying a 24L II from J&R over my local price, shipped to my in-laws in Florida and on it's way up at March break!), I'll take the cheap route.<br>

<br />Keeping the money in my pocket to spend on other things than on my local camera retailers overheads makes personal financial sense to me.<br />It's sad but it's an economic hard fact, you can save a lot of money by buying on line. Saving my cash is my bottom line. Lenses are expensive enough, I want the best deal there is.</p>