A Comparison: Canon FDN Focusing Screen, SK & SJ

panoramic pei

<p>In comparing the Canon SJ & SK, I have found before owning the SK Screen, the SJ Screen would display some unwanted rainbow effects when viewing with a 500mm Tokina F8 Lens. It is (SJ) excellent with the Macro Lenses & the Canon FDN Zoom 80--200mm F4, Canon recommends 50mm to 200mm Lenses.<br>

With the SK Screen, the 500mm F8 viewing appears normal, I also found that this (SK) Screen functions perfectly with the Macro Lenses & the 80- 200mm Zoom. Canon recommends to use this Screen (SK) with Lenses longer than 300mm & Macro Photography. My Question is if someone has these both Screens are they really using both, for which reason other than what Canon recommends ? or are favoring the SK as I am. I am wondering if Canon purposely omitted the fact the SK Screen functions perfectly with Shorter Focal Length Lenses also, to sell more of the SJ Screen Model. I appreciate your opinions</p>

<p> Canon's recommendations for the SK, AK, PK:<br>

An extremely bright screen which offers the same unobstructed, sharp image as the Bright Laser Matte J. Recommended for 300mm telephoto lenses, or longer. Also suitable for photomacrography and close-up work. Darkening is absent even when the lens is stopped down.<br>

I am not aware of any Canon FD Macro Lenses available which are of 300mm Focal Length or longer, they refer to: for copy work (Shorter Focal Length Lens required). There is some Darkening when the Lens is stopped down. The same unobstructed, sharp image as the Bright Laser Matte J is the accurate part, since I found the SK & SJ to be equal for Focusing with shorter Focal Lengths than 300mm.. .other that the SK is slightly brighter. Although do not try to get away easily with a SJ Screen for Longer Focal Lengths than recommended which is 200mm. The down side is, the more you change focusing screens, the better the odds for scratching & marking them. I'm am still listening, I am not selling my SJ Screen as yet, but I am not entirely convinced the 2 Screens are mandatory since Canon's recommendation is vague to start with for the SK Screen.<br /> <br>

<br /> <br>

<br /> <br>

<br /> </p>

<p>Robert you can use your equipment how ever you want I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything. Only telling you what I use my screens for.<br>

I do a LOT of shooting with a 400mm f4.5 and a 500mm f4.5L in combo with an FD-15 extension tube and a 2X-A for back yard size birds and with out the extension tube for larger birds and more distant critters. I also shoot with a Tokina 90mm f2.5 Macro both with and without its 1-1 adapter I have no problem with changing screens as I have two New F-1's and two T-90's an A-1 two AE-1P's all of which I have various screens for. I tend to arm up what my adventure is going to call for before leaving home or camp. I rarely have changed screens in the field.<br>

but it is interesting to read your experiances.</p>

<p>I prefer to downsize to one Screen, since I am pleased with the setup of just one New F1 & a T90 Body.I plan just to use New F1 Body & SK Screen for Macro Photography with the Angle Finder B at times, the Canon FDN 50mm & 100mm Macro Lenses & also with the 500mm Tokina Mirror. All the Lenses I own are slower lenses, the fastest is F3.5, I may add Extension Tubes or a 2X Converter at times, all these darker viewing combinations suit the SK perfectly. The Wide Angle & Zoom Lenses ( the fastest is a F2.8) will suit the T90 with the Standard Screen. I speculate Lens Speed has some effect for selecting the appropriate FN Focusing Screens also, although Canon fails to share that information with us. I believe if I owned some Faster Medium Telephoto Lenses as the 85mm F1.2 L, I would see a larger difference between the SK & SJ Screen in the Medium Telephoto Lens range.</p>