50mm f1.2 Ai .... Does this lens exist?

donaldamacmillan

<p>Hello</p>

<p>I'm trying to decide on a possible 'upgrade' to my 'late' version 50mm f1.8 AiS (that came with my FM3a), and i am trying to find out how the 50mm f1.2 <strong>Ai </strong>compares/contrasts to the 50mm f1.2/1.4/1.8 AiS/Ai. </p>

<p>Any info that anybody can give me about the 50mm f1.2 Ai i'd be very grateful for. Essentially, is this a good lens for general photography purposes, and for a bit of astrophotography too (star trails)? </p>

<p>Kind regards<br>

Donaldo</p>

<p>I wouldn't think of the 50mm 1.2 as an 'upgrade'. The appeal of this lens is not so much the speed of the lens (f1.2) and correspondingly the possibility to use a faster shutter speed. The appeal is the character of the image, especially wide open for nearby subjects. Use this lens for a bit, and you will understand another aspect of what people mean when they go on about 'bokeh'.<br>

If you get one, get the version with the 9-blade aperture.</p>

<p>It has rather good performance, although the contrast could be higher. On a D3 it looks very competent at larger apertures, showing that it is really good in the f2-f5.6 range. For astrophotography it has a bit of coma and lack of contrast at the max aperture -- I heard that the 58/1.2 is designed for more astrophotography type applications.</p>

<p>I bought a 50mm f1.2 lens for my Minolta back in 1980. The difference between it and a f1.4 lens is 0.2 f-stop, it's much heavier, and costs twice as much. Thinking back, I don't see where I got that much more for my money, and if I had to do it again, I would pass on it in favor of the f1.4/</p>

<p>The f1.2 is about the same size as the f1.4. I currently have an AI-S f1.2 and an AF-D f1.4. The latter is contrastier, but loses detail compared to the f1.2 at larger apertures, so I only use when I need AF. Don't assume that only the max aperture matters; the f1.2 has an edge to other lenses also when stopped down slightly, e.g. f2.</p>

<p>IMHO, there are only two real advantages to the f1.2......ability to shoot with less available light, and easier to focus. The latter is the main reason why I bought one about 20 years ago to make focusing my FM easier. In terms of picture image quality, the cheap 50mm f1.8 is hard to beat.</p>

H eh, what shell I say and manage to avoid repeating my self :)

If you wont sharp normal then 50mm 1/1.8 or 1/2 is only option,

But, If you desire Lo-light Nikon master lens with 1/2 of EV (exposition value) better then 1.4, with so shallow Depth of Field and Bokeh... there is no real alternative to 50mm f1.2 ...or maybe Noct-Nikkor 58mm f1.2 ( very expensive).

Search for my previous postings and you will find tests and pictures taken with that lens.

<p>It likely comes down to personal preference, but in my comparisons of the 50 Ai f1.2, 50 AF 1.8 and 50 AF D 1.4 the 1.4 D had much better contrast and color saturation. I sold the f1.2. The 1.8 is surprisingly good as well for an inexpensive lens.</p>