Buying Locally?

<p>I am currently shooting with a Nikon D80 and various consumer/kit-quality lenses. While I have not come close to maxing out the capabilities of what I now have, I am ready to add a 2nd body (back-up, etc.) and some higher quality lenses. With my budget in mind, I have decided on adding a D90, Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC, and Tamron 70-200 2.8. </p>

<p>My quandry now is, "Where to buy?" My first instinct is to purchase locally, with the goal of having a brick-and-mortar store to return to with questions and/or problems. Speaking face-to-face with the sales personel is a plus also. I'm located just south of Minneapolis/St. Paul. The only store I have found with anything approaching competitive pricing is National Camera Exchange. Even then, I could save enough by buying from the "big guys" like Adorama, B & H, etc. to add an SB-900.</p>

<p>Is it likely that NCE would discount a purchase that includes the three items I have mentioned, as a 'package deal?' Would it be more likely they could "throw in" something I need, like a better tripod? Do the big guys offer such a package pricing deal? </p>

<p>I realize that State Sales Tax is a handicap the a local merchant can't work around, but adding over $200.00 to the ticket weighs on my budget, also.</p>

<p>Based on your past purchases, what would you do?</p>

<p>Hi Jim:</p>

<p>I have gone through the same thing with on line vs National Camera. Minnesota requires you to file a use tax when purchasing online so if you toe the tax line, there is no advantage to the internet versus purchasing locally... ;)</p>

<p>I just recently upgraded to a 5D MK II w/ the 24 - 105 kit lens and decided to go with Nat Cam in the North West 'burbs; I like the idea of local support on major purchases.</p>

<p>I once endured major nightmare getting support with an on line purchase. Shipping fees and delays more than overcame any savings I thought I had realized by purchasing from a web based discounter.</p>

<p>I would like to buy locally, also, but I just can't afford it. I have not had problems with B&H or Adorama. If you have the extra money to be able to buy locally more power to you. Considering shipping, I usually choose which ever one happens to be cheaper on the day I want to put my order in. Both vary from day to day. Not much, but a every little bit helps.</p>

<p>I buy from BHPhoto and a camera store about 40miles from the house. They are both good places to shop. The camera store is kind of far and they do not have everything so BHPhoto is getting most of my business. I think BHPhoto is a very good place to shop.</p>

<p>I find the chain camera stores usually don't have much in the way of the kind of gear I buy. Really good brick and mortar camera stores are few and far between, but I'll usually check them out when I'm traveling if I have time. Most often the local sales tax makes any deal they might offer inequitable to me, but I always point that out and ask them to get the 'out the door' price (with tax) close to what I can get it for online from a safe source (including shipping cost). I give them a fair chance to get my business, but most are unwilling, or want to play games.</p>

<p>I have yet to find a camera store that will deal equitably vs the online price from B&H, Adorama, or Amazon for major camera gear purchases. Again, I'm factoring in tax and shipping costs. I'll support a local store over a few dollars difference on minor purchases, but when it runs into significant money, in my view, it's strictly a business proposition. If they can't afford to bring down the price to be equitable, that shouldn't become <em>my </em> problem. For me, that philosophy extends beyond camera gear. I cringe when I'm out of town, checking out a camera store, and a sales person tells me they don't have stock on an item, but "we can order that for you". I usually tell them "well, so can I, and it'll get delivered to my door" (always for less cost, also saving fuel cost, wear and tear on my vehicle, my time, etc...hey, it all adds up). More often than not, their faces look like a kid that's been caught with his hand in the cookie jar.</p>

<p>I'm not sure I'd ask for advice at most local camera stores. For example, I went into one and asked if they had a remote release for a Canon G10. The salesperson told me a G10 couldn't use a remote release. When I assured him the Canon manual said it could, and told him the Canon part number, he looked it up on his computer. I peeked at the screen - he was looking it up on B&H's website! They had one in stock, so I bought it anyway.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses, so far. I was hoping there was some way I could get a local entity to come close enough to make it worthwhile, but from what you've all said, my first guess is right - they likely won't be willing to compete. Paying a little more would be worth it to me, but not such a big difference.</p>

<p>Most states that have sale tax also have a "use tax" meaning that if you buy something from out of state and the retailer isn't collecting the sale tax from you, you most likely owe your state tax department the use tax. Pay close attention to this, especially if you're in business since the fees, fines and interest can add up big really fast!</p>

<p>Mark -</p>

<p>I can see why you went with National. They are showing the same price on your body/lens kit as Adorama. I wish it were that way with the stuff I want.</p>

<p>National does seem to have some knowledgeable people, if you are selective about the staff you deal with.</p>

<p> I'm lucky enough to have a very good camera store nearby here in Massachusetts. Hunt's in Melrose. They are more expensive but not by hundreds. I buy from them because I want there to be a brick and mortar store in existence. Some things I can't buy online based on reviews. A $1500 camera body? I need to access the menu and feel the ergonomics. An $1800 lens? I want to put it on my camera and look through it before I lay out the cash. I can't even imagine buying a camera bag or a tripod without seeing it and trying it. The last camera bag I purchased I brought all my gear in and tried several brands and styles before I found the right one, even then it was a hard decision. The salesman was most gracious. I've purchased items off the internet here and there without incident, but it'll never replace a physical store, well stocked and staffed. I'm willing to pay the extra 5% or so. </p>

<p>Jim -</p>

<p>I've bought several items from National Camera and never had an issue. </p>

<p>The biggest issue with them is the amount of staff turnover - I go in once or twice a month to the "main store" and I seldom if ever see the same faces / names. Good thing is that most of them are photographers too so they understand the equipment and are prepared to take the time to show it to you.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>i also buy locally, and feel fortunate to have a branch of richmond camera within walking distance of home. unfortunately, the economy hasn't been kind to small businesses like them. so they've curtailed staff and hours of operation, and raised prices excessively.<br>

the people are nice, but for the most part aren't knowledgable. if you plead with them to cut you a deal on a package, they can't do anything for you. i continue to shop and spend money there, just for the luxury of having them around, but it becomes harder and harder to justify that support -- especially for major purchases -- when the store doesn't add value to the transaction in some way.</p>

<p>Many people say they want to buy locally for various reasons, usually the ability to actually touch the gear. Is that not a "service" worth paying for? I do not own a store (thank heavens, retail is a tough business) but realize that there are different markups on different items. If you buy a camera locally, usually a low markup because of the intense competition, and the accessories (higher markup) online, you just shoot yourself in the foot because it won't be long before the local outfit is out of business. We should be internally honest, not just cheap, and support our local store, assuming it is worth supporting. I am not including some of the national chains staffed by people whose knowledge is pathetic, but rather established local emporia who care about their customers.<br>

Good luck.<br>

Eric</p>

<p>My reason for buying locally is that the money stays right here. It keeps the store open which keeps the owner paying his/her mortgage, meeting payroll, paying taxes etc. Meaning people working at the store will not be fired but will rather continue to be contributing members of society. Sadly much of the items I buy for my business I can't buy locally. But I buy as much as I can as close by as I can find it.<br /> <br /> I rather pay $10 more shopping at my locally owned grocery store than go to the localish Wal-Mart. I hire a local electrician to work on our house even though I can find someone $100 cheaper by looking in the "big city" some 40 miles away.<br /> <br /> I guess I'm a bit of a pinkie-commie lol.</p>

<p>I tried to buy locally at Best Buy, but the disinterested teenagers couldn't find any of the G11's they allegedly had in stock. They slowly looked for keys and opened different cabinets while my kids got rapidly bored. I gave up and went home and ordered it online for less money.</p>

<p>Best Buy does not qualify as a local store. When I use the term, I mean a locally owned store, staffed by people whose IQ is greater than their age, and who offer expertise and service after the sale. Best Buy may be good for some things and I have nothing against them, but don't confuse a national chain with a local store.<br>

Eric</p>

<p>I've made my decision, and hopefully this will be of use to someone else.</p>

<p>I went back to National Camera and explained my dilemna. I was quite honest with them in the prices I had found elsewhere (on the net), my reasons for preferring to purchase more locally, and that I felt their service and location was worth something to me, just not as much as the difference in 'sticker price.' They verified my comparisons and met me half-way, based on purchasing all three items.</p>

<p>I will be on my way this morning to pick up my new body and Tamron lenses. I am very satisfied and now a big fan of National Camera Exchange.</p>

<p><em>Thanks everyone for your input!</em></p>

<p>I do both. If I want to handle an item before buying, I'll go to a local store and buy from them. Luckily, I live 20 minutes from Abe's of Maine (which is in NJ) and they have prices that are competive with B&H and Adorama. If they don't have an item, or if I don't need to handle the item, I'll often order it from Adorama or B&H.</p>

<p>In your case there is a very big price difference. If they can't come closer to a competitive price, I would order from B&H or Adorama. They both have very good return policies if you aren't pleased with the item.</p>

<p>Mark,<br>

The problem with your approach, if you'd really like to support your local emporium, as I said above, is that the items you want to handle, cameras and lenses, likely have the lowest margins. The other things, film, paper, accessories are the items with the higher markups and are the stuff that keeps the local stores afloat.<br>

Only you can decide how to spend your hard earned money, but cherry picking how you spend is not the way to support local businesses. I do not nor have I ever worked at or owned any retail camera business. I am fortunate to have a great, friendly, local store with knowledgeable sales people and no local sales tax, so I may have it better than many out there. If you care to know, it's Pro Photo Supply in Portland, OR (not Maine).<br>

Eric</p>

<p>I try to buy locally (SF Bay Area), but the local stores either don't or can't compete. I wanted to buy a raincoat for my camera and the local store stocked it, but not the necessary eye-piece. Another local store charged me $3.00 more than Kirk's list price for a Kirk quick release plate. Only from stores such as Adorama and B&H have I found both selection and price. I can buy a lens locally, but if I want the B&W filter I'm out of luck.</p>