Nikkor 16-85 DX lens distortion?

bk_waas

<p>I just bought the Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II DX and tried it for the first time last weekend. I'm surprised at how much distortion there is when using this lens. A sample photo is available here:<br>

<br /> https://home.comcast.net/~wjoe/ANJ/Bday.jpg<br>

<br /> Is the distortion in this photo typical of this lens at 16mm? I didn't have anywhere near this much distortion on the 18-55 ED DX when I shot it at 18mm. Does 2mm make such a difference? I don't recall ever seeing this much distortion from my 24mm 2.8 when I shoot it on a 35mm film body.<br>

<br /> Another example, shot at more than 16mm (I'm not sure of the focal length), appears here:<br>

<br /> https://home.comcast.net/~wjoe/ANJ/Winston and the girls.jpg</p>

<p>Yes, the difference between 16mm and 18mm is quite dramatic, and will certainly make <em>perspective distortion</em> much more dramatic. Of course, that's not really distortion, it's just ... perspective.<br /><br />It will be much less noticeable if you square up the plane of the camera's sensor to the vertical lines in the room, and keep familiar objects like human faces from occupying the edges of the image. You're up against the laws of physics, here, I'm afraid. The wider the lens, the more exaggerated the perspective is going to appear. Of course, that can be a very powerful creative tool, too.</p>

<p>The 16-85mm has less distortion at 16mm (-2.54%) than the 18-55mm has at 18mm (-2.72%) according to tests done at www.photozone.de. If you want to see really high wide-angle distortion, check out the Nikon 18-70mm at 18mm (-3.49%) and the 18-200mm at 18mm (a whopping -4.13%). I can live with the minor distortion of the 16-85mm at 16mm because it is 2mm wider than the other lenses *and* has lower distortion. The 18-105mm measures in at -3.52% at 18mm, and the 18-135mm is -3.36%, interestingly. There are many other lenses tested there, it's a nice site for lens research.</p>

<p>As the sample image suggests, BK is talking about the "perspective distortion". The PD in wide range is strong and only 1mm of difference of the focal length in that range makes a lot of difference. There is no wonder if you are accustomed to the PD of 18mm and surprised to see the PD of 16mm.</p>