Spyder 3 Elite and Snow leopard calibration problem

<p>Hi<br>

I have had perfect success calibrating my Dell monitor via my Macbook Pro with a Spyder 3 Elite for a few months now. I recently changed my operating system to Snow Leopard and since can not get the correct calibration. The images look over saturated and extremely yellow. Is anybody else having the same problem.<br>

Many Thanks.</p>

<p>Hi Colin, I have been using the suggested parameters by the software, Gamma 2.2 and white point 6500K. I have tried every veriation with out success. I was given the following instructions from Datacolour themselves" Can you go ahead and reset your Dell display to it's factory defaults-<br /> Now start up the Spyder3Elite software and in the menu bar select: Go/Edit Display Information<br /> Doing this will restart the calibration process for your Dell to the very beginning- <br /> Now for the available display controls, please only select Brightness as the available control. The software is capable of neutralizing the colors via the profile than by having you manually adjust the controls during the profiling process.<br /> <br /> Also, just in case: Below are some general guidelines to follow when profiling:<br /> � Please always plug the Spyder into an USB port in the back of your computer (close to the keyboard/mouse). Please do not use USB-Hubs or extension cords as this could result into problems with the power supply.<br /> � Also check that you have turned off all screensavers and energysavers during the calibration. If your display has an auto-brightness function be sure that it too is disabled.<br /> � Then please make sure that the Spyder lays flat on the screen in the center where the patches are displayed and try to prevent bright light (e.g. sunlight, desklamp) to hit the screen.<br /> <br /> If this doesn't work you may need to uninstall and then reinstall the software as undating the OS could have caused a small file incompatibility which is resulting in the off profile. Please follow the instructions below to uninstall and then re-install Spyder3Elite:<br /> Please uninstall the Spyder3Elite software by going to Applications and move the Datacolor folder to the trash. Now go to:<br /> Users->(you)-> Library-> Preferences-> Datacolor<br /> and move the folder to the trash, empty the trash and restart your computer. Now download and install the latest version of Spyder3Elite from here:<br /> http://support.datacolor.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=112&nav=0<br /> <br /> Please let us know your results and especially if you stiil can't get an accurate profile at 2.2 6500k."<br>

Still, the same bad results. They even sent me a new Spyder. No luck. I just dont understand why everything worked perfectly before the switch to Snow Leopard.<br>

I even tried calibrating an Apple monitor, still the same results.<br>

I got a perfect calibration from a ColourMunki.</p>

<p>I have a 17-in MacBook Pro (late 2009) with Snow Leopard and Spyder3 Elite. I calibrated by HP 2475w and my MacBook Pro screen at the recommended settings by the Spyder with ambient light detection on, which to my surprise advised me to set the color temp to 5000K. Which I did. I thought the colors would come out weird because everyone says to set temp to 6500K, but again to my surprise, they perfectly match the printer (Epson Pro 3880). I would recalibrate with ambient light on and set the temps to what the program says; you should get the same results.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I thought the colors would come out weird because everyone says to set temp to 6500K, but again to my surprise, they perfectly match the printer (Epson Pro 3880).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>“<em>Everybody</em>” is wrong. The correct value is that which produces a screen to print match. So that depends on the illuminant you are using to view the print. Same with cd/m2 settings. There is no right setting expect the one that produces a match. </p>

<p>Considering you’re not really getting 5000K and considering all Kelvin values describe a range of colors, not an exact color (as D50 does), its no wonder that differing values may be needed and YMMV. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Maybe all these different calibration packages have changed or tweaked their definition of what Kelvin is suppose to look like and how it is written into the matrices of the profile. I've seen profiles built using different Kelvin numbers actually affect the saturation tables in tagged images viewed in color managed apps. </p>

<p>I know from experience this would happen with eyeball calibrator built profiles. However, I notice my old i1Display hardware calibrator doesn't include this chromatic adaptation transform that adjusts saturation as far as I can see when changing Kelvin numbers and was wondering if this is a glitch or intentional. See below what 5000K looks like on my 2004 G5 iMac. I can't believe folks actually set their display to look like that. </p>

<p>And while we're on the subject has anyone actually done a study comparing how different the results are between not only different brands of calibration packages but their subsequent upgrades within the same brand to accommodate newer OS's and wider gamut displays.</p>

<p>What I'm curious to know is if these companies are tweaking their software and hardware to change how color managed color is suppose to look on a calibrated display. For instance how off are color managed previews between sRGB gamut display (A) calibrated with 2004's calibration package compared to wide gamut display (B) calibrated with 2009's calibration package specifically tweaked for wide gamut displays? Would the newer package give the same results calibrating an older and/or smaller gamut display?</p><div>00VdOA-215337584.thumb.jpg.df91b1c69317e03bcded02d2146dd810.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>See below what 5000K looks like on my 2004 G5 iMac. I can't believe folks actually set their display to look like that.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My 5000K display does look warm, no doubt, compared to 6500K. All I can say is it matches the prints; so that's what matters to me. If I adjust the onscreen photo color temps to be cooler, I'll still get a print match. </p>