Some idea's for shooting

<p>I live in a rural part of Texas. I've walked around and taken all the scenery images I can handle. I've dobbled in portraiture, macro and floral. I don't have the lenses to do sports.<br>

I love shooting but I'm needing some insperation to keep shooting. Portraits are fun, but because I work out of my home, bringing people in for these photo sessions is painful for the rest of the family. Plus to top it off I'm a disabled vet. If I take Portrait, or portfolio shoots outside I need help carrying the extra equipment, ie; reflectors, lights and so forth.<br>

Please send me some idea's, topics to shoot. It's cold and fixing to miserable this next week. What to do?</p>

<p>I went to a photo club meeting and someone did a presentation on stock photography. I had looked into microstock a while back but was really turned off by the fact that I was only going to get paid 25 cents every time someone downloaded one of my photos. Then I realized that it was 25 cents more than I was currently getting.</p>

<p>I looked into it (stock photography) a bit more and realized that it is really a whole other world. I find it challenging to focus on technically perfect "marketable" photos while trying to be a bit creative. The thought of taking a picture of some generic object (pile of coffee beans, a wrench etc.) isn't appealing at first but can be a great way to keep challenging your mind and perfecting your technique.</p>

<p>The field is so broad that it encompasses everything from sweeping landscapes to small isolated objects you can photograph on your tabletop.</p>

<p>Getting in can be a bit of a chore (you generally have to submit a small sample set of photos for review) and maintaining the sight standards required is challenging but it might be just the thing to keep you going on the days you don't feel like harassing your family for portraits (although images with models are very marketable).</p>

<p>There are a bazillion microstock sites out there. Check them out. Heck, just figuring out what each site offers can keep you busy for a week.<br /> this one works well for me so far (just started a few months ago)...<br>

http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=512455</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Aaaand...</p>

<p>having looked at your portfolio (pretty slick), you've probably been at this long enough to have thought about stock photog (heck, maybe you even sell your photos regularly). Take the suggestion for what it is worth then. Good luck with the inspiration.</p>

<p>The only money I've ever made was from doing the shoot, never anything from the tfcd's. I've thought about trying to posterize some of them, but don't know if they are good enough.<br>

Thanks, stock photography is a lot of work and effort. Good money too if you are good enough at it. Not really why I shoot though. I'm looking for something new, rocks, flowers, people, sun rises and sunsets just aren't cutting it for me anymore.</p>

<p>You say you live in rural Texas. How about prized livestock? Cattle, horses, etc., in portrait and in action? There's nothing more breathtaking to me than watching top notch cutting horses and reining horses in full blown action. The rippling musculature, sleek hides, determination and dedication in their eyes. Especially the cutting horses. That cowboy is just up there for the roller coaster ride. Those horses know exactly what to do, and they sure don't need anybody to show them how.</p>

<p>Sadly not that rural - There area I live in has a rich history of cattle runs and horse training but developement of the surrounding area's has sucked up all the property and now it's just homes.<br>

Any horse or cattle I find are surrounded by fence lines. Which ruins the pics in my opinion. I live near Fort Hood so I've been throwing around an idea for a portrait for soldiers theme. Free of couse, but I'm trying to think up a twist to it to make it unique.</p>

<p>Mr Preston, do you like old war planes? There are a lot of those around Texas. None are very close to Fort Hood, but there is the Commemorative Air Force in Midland, Cavanaugh Air Museum near Dallas, and Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston. There is one in Breckenridge also and a few smaller ones (basically zillionaires' personal collections) scattered around. The planes can be fun to photograph even without long lenses. As a vet you will be treated well at these places. Some of the pics in my gallery were taken in Texas.</p>