Damaged (dropped) Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 - does Nikon fix them well

sandeep_kumar10

<p>Hi - I have ended up with a damaged 3 month old Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR1, which is currently with Nikon service in India. Its going to cost around USD 400 to fix - dented barrel, focus ring, mount etc etc. I am wondering if Nikon actually ends up fixing these babies well, or should I mentally write this lens off. Curious to know if others have have good experience with such repair of pro lenses. Thanks for your input.</p>

<p>Sorry for your mishap. I cannot say for sure because I don't know how badly your lens was damaged. But if Nikon has agreed to repair your lens and quoted the price for that, they are responsible to do their job for your satisfaction. If the lens isn't returned in a perfect working condition, you have right to claim a refund. But then you would have to replace the lens with a new (or good used) one on your own, sorry to say. I think it's as simple as that.</p>

<p>While it's in the shop, inquire whether the EPROM needs to be replaced for maximum compatibility with full-frame cameras like the D700 or D3. According to Nikon (per Authorized Nikon Service in Morton Grove, IL), early versions have trouble focusing with these cameras. The stand-alone modification is $350, but it might be less if the lens is already disassembled.</p>

<p>had a 70-300 that i accidentally dropped while picking up bag. tried to ease its fall with my feet but the vr broke. lens kept working fine apart of that. i sent to nikon for a replacement. The biggest problem is that they had to wait for the parts for a very very long time, like 6 months. but it came back fine, after several phone calls (suddently they had the part and sent me the lens).</p>