Horseman Multi Coated UV Filter

mike_connell1

<p>Has anyone had any experience with Horseman UV filters? I bought a Canon 70-200mm/4 recently, which is my first L series lens. I like to have a multi coated UV filter on my lens, primarily for protection. I usually buy Hoya or Promaster, but the sales guy at the local camera shop says he would use a "nicer" filter - the Horseman Multi Coated UV Digital filter. I can't find anything on these on the 'net. They cost twice as much as a Hoya (about $80). Is he just feeding me a line of horse crap or is the Horseman filter something that is truly worth twice the price?</p>

<p>I use Hoya or BW multi coated filters. Currently I have a BW filter on my 70-200 F4. I have not seen any difference between my Hoya or BW filters. I doubt a filter more expensive than these would be significantly better. Stick with what you know. I have never used Horseman filters and a google search found nothing which leads me to believe they don't make any.</p>

<p>Horseman is the brand name for the MF and LF cameras made by Japanese Komamura Corp. which does offer UV (also CPL) digital filters under Horseman brand. The company is also the authorized dealer of Rodenstock lenses/filters and Schneider/B+W lenses/filters. I'm not sure whether Horseman filters are rebranded ones of either German manufactures or Japanese original (the link to the Horseman filters in Komamura's own website doesn't work!). The quality shouldn't be noticeably inferior, but Hoya would be good enough unless lighting situation is very critical.</p>