If you could design a Custom View Camera

vicki_guidice

What would you folks like to have, if you could have the ideal view

camera designed and built from scratch? What features, movements,

looks... how rugged as opposed to how lightweight, etc.

Also, what current cameras have features you like, bad habits you

hate, things like that...

Only, be realistic ---

Please don't ask for a Sinar F that weighs one pound...

Anthony

It would pretty much be the Arca-Swiss F camera for a studio/

location camera with the bellows used by the Canham DLC

cameras, so that except for lenses that were shorter than 58mm

I wouldn't have to switch out bellows. My other camera would be

a Canham DLC that was yaw free, had stronger "zero" detents

and could be switched directly into the 5x7 MQC camera, I'd also

like the two cameras to have interchangable accessories such

as the bino reflex focusing device forthe Arca.

How about an 8X20" camera that I could afford, and on top of that, matching film holders that don't cost an arm and a leg.

May I ask why you are asking this question Anthony? About 3 weeks ago, there was a thread dealing with this same subject, from someone who was either planning on building or haviong his own camera built...how about you?

Easy question Anthony. Just the other day I was thinking that, should the extraordinary odds be overcome and Powerball winnings come my way, I'd call Dick Phillips and convince him to make that 5x7 version of my Compact II he previously indicated was not in the cards. Second choice would be an 11x14 version of same.

1-Sliding tripod block with multiple fittings; better yet, an

interface to the small platform that view cameras are best mounted on.

2-Provision to easily fit a Packard shutter in front; an alternate

ground glass back that incorporates a modern, light, quality take on

the Graphic or Roll Blind shutter

3-A much much secure, mutliply hinged ground glass bail, including a

light trap for when the dark slide is removed and a way to make small

adjustments in forward-backward position

With new materials and precsion manufacturing, who really is

innovating in Large Format-

THANKS AND GOOD LU

Anthony, what size format? 4X5?, 5X7? 8X10? What materials?, wood?, metal?, Polycarbonate?, Anodized aluminum?, stainless steel?, brass?, titanium?. Flat bed folder, or monorail?. We went through many of these choices on Witold's thread. Everybody has their own favorite type of camera. The conclusion, there is no perfect camera. Are you planning on manufacturing your own, marketing some of the favorites, or handling something new? For example, several inquiries have been made regarding the 8X10 Shen Hao. Toho monorail cameras have been highly recommended by Kerry Thalmann. I think you have a great idea here. I hope you make a huge success with your new venture.

Anthony, I refuse to answer that question, on the grounds that it will tend to incriminate me. All six flatbeds, and the two monorails I formerly owned, had good, and not so good features. They all had various build-quality problems. So, if you're asking me to select a line of view cameras for your company to stock, and market to large format enthusiasts, I cannot make that decision for you. It's a business decision that only you can make. I know nothing about the distribution, wholesale prices, or your financial capability to buy from the various manufacturers.

Okay Anthony - worst camera? Sinar F... to my mind, clunky rise and fall (among other things), not precise and way too heavy for what it is (that damn rail mount weighs as much as the camera and then you end up with the thing perched on top of that on top of a tripod).

Now, for a camera of choice? tough one - as there are actually a whole slew of pretty good 4x5's out there - from super compact light weight Tohos, to budget Toyo's, to superb Arca Swiss or Linhof Tek, to funky functional Canhams, to gorgeous (and innovative) Gandolfis or Lotus', to enough studio cameras to still shake a stick at, to handheld Linhof masters. With both budget and house mortgage models.

Personally, having got more into 8x10 in the last year or two, I would be interested in something along these lines.

Light (ish) - obviously! - (say somewhere around the Phillips weight, Even the Canham is getting a bit heavy). While I do a certain amount of landscape, I also do a lot of urban landscape/8x10 street photography, whereby the camera sits on the tripod, some holders go in a small shoulder bag and everything else is in my pockets. The camera and tripod are then carried over the shoulder for periods of time. The Dorff, even on a not too heavy tripod, is just too heavy for this after a while (and why I wouldn't get an Ebony, even though in every other way it would be ideal - maybe I'll just have to eventually become a 2 8x10 family, with a light Phillips for this stuff!)

I'm using a Dorff, and find the range of movements wonderful - it's just a bit too heavy and a bit too old. So, similar range of movements, but a bit more sturdy than the Canham. I like the Phillips idea, but I do think the movements a bit restricted, as well as the bellows draw. I shoot a lot of wide angle (for which the rear/lensboard focus on the Dorff is great). And while I don't really do tele stuff in 8x10, I do like to do close-ups sometimes. The Phillips doesn't really give me enough for that.

Of course rigidity is needed, as is sturdiness - a fragile camera ain't too much use. An alternate plexi GG like the one Wenham provides would be a bonus - helps when the camera is travelling by bush plane (never mind regular airline handling.

And it shouldn't necessarily be all glowing wood and brass. Looks fine on old cameras, but I don't want to spend all my life explaining that no, the cameras IS new and didn't come from a railway museum or something. Obviously, a judicious use of modern materials if they work and do the job better. My feeling is, that just about everything that can been done with the "traditional" design in 8x10 has been done - never mind the classics still out there (Dorff, Kodak Master etc) - but with modern manufacturers - Wisner, Lotus, Ebony, Zone VI, Canham and so on. To my mind, the few innovative designs, Phillips, Wenham, Canham to some extent show the direction and open up the possibilities.

My two penneth worth...

tim

I'd love to see a truly portable monorail. Right now I'm learning on a Calumet CC-400. Pretty nice for the price, but NOT exactly portable. I have to use a Crown Graphic for field work. Why not a light, sturdy monorail that can disassemble into a portable package? With of course a durable bellows. Kevlar maybe? I hate pinholes! :)

Wow Tim, anybody that is willing to brave those temperatures to go take pictures deserves my heartfelt respect...Kudos to you!<p>

Anthony, I gave some thought to your question and I would like to see a cross between my Linhof TK45 and my Gandolfi Variant 8x10. Namely I would like friction locks for <b>all the movements</b>, I hate them little knobs! <p>

I like the drop bed design more than the rail design. For me the camera does not have to be that light, heck a couple of pounds here and there are insignificant compared to all the stuff we have to carry. I would like levels on both standards, but not detents, just a little mark to show the zero position. <p>

Tim does not want pretty, I do..:-)). Of course all rigidity, etc, etc, are a given so I wont belabor those points anymore.

Hi folks,

funny, no one mentioned the sinar p desing. The f is only interesting as a lightweight extension on the system.

Ok, the p (p2) is not lightweight, but it even goes with my bike (no motorcycle!!!)(5x7!!!).

Accuracy and handling is perfect, format discussion useless.

Oh, I forgot, don`t build a series with less then 10 000 pieces. would be to expensive....

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but people like Canham went into business because they thought they had a better idea and may have to an extent, although I have not shot one. Then along comes Shen Hao with a nice little camera at a good price, and Toho with another light monorail. Add in Ebony, Walker, Hoffman etc and you have some rather talented people that probably know manfacturing cameras upside down better than you and I, yet they can't put together a wish list of features because you have to make concessions. So just asking the question that you have isn't going to get you anywhere. What counts is practical experience first in shooting LF and them in machining. Without either your flying blind. Now I don't know whre you stand in your experience, but I would like for you to recount this for us so we know if were just whistling Dixie here. Personally I find anyone who is considering even undertaking this field a little daft, as the time and money it will take to get such a camera off the ground can be mind boggling. It might be one thing to putter around in a machine shop and make a camera for ones use, it is totally another thing to manufacture a camera for sale. And in the end, what's just as important is service and accessories besides being here in 10 to 50 years to support whatever you have created. So in the end, and if your still interested in doing such a project, what I think it comes down to is "your" experience and what you think can be done in a better way, not what everyone wants, but what your vision is say as compared to Canham's.

Let me also offer alternative fields of endeavor which you could apply yourself to that could be just as obnoxious as building a camera, and that would be accessories and film. Personally if you have a 100K burning a hole in your pocket, think about making film in larger sizes; You might be able to buy a patent, and at least it would support the field of LF photography alot more than someone coming out with another camera.

Actually, what's needed most in 4x5 isn't a new camera, or an improved Grafmatic, it's a revival of the old FILM PACK! 16 exposures in the space of less than twice the size and weight of a cut film holder. You can shoot what you need and develop only those.