Laos do I need a flash?

michellemandat

<p>That depends entirely on your style of photography and what you plan to photograph. I didn't take a flash when I was traveling there, and its lack wasn't a hindrance. But other than formal portraiture with studio strobes, I rarely use flash whenever and wherever I'm taking photos.</p>

<p>I'd say no, but that's my personal style. I didn't bring one or want one when I went to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam (and was supposed to Laos but ran out of time) . I had enough equipment already on me and if you've got a body that does low light/high ISO well, you should be fine.</p>

<p>I bring a flash everywhere! I will use fill flash for many of my images - not just for portraits but, often to illuminate close up areas in architectural and or landscape photography. Southeast Asia has some very strong sunlight which casts deep shadows. The flash will fill the shadows.<br />I will carry two flashes on my upcoming trip to China. A general purpose Canon 550EX or 420EX (weight of my total kit will determine which of these I will take) and a minute Canon 270EX. The larger flash will go out with me for night shooting while the 270EX goes everywhere with me; day and night!<br />The 270EX is a tiny flash which is not very powerful and which can only tilt but, not rotate. However, its tiny size and weight allows me to carry it on my camera all day without realizing that it is there. I primarily use this for fill flash and the low power doesn't seem to hamper me since I will be shooting my fill flash at -1 or -2 EV. I just turn it on and off whenever I want to use it.<br />I carry Joe Demb diffusers for each flash, the Flash Diffuser Pro for the 420EX or 550EX and the Flip-It Junior for the 270EX. The Demb diffusers really increase the versatility of both flashes.<br /><a href="http://www.dembflashproducts.com">www.dembflashproducts.com</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>I just got back from 7 days in Luang Namtha this afternoon and I am very glad that I brought a flash. I enjoy photographing people and the fill in flash is very handy. It was remarkable how often "the sun" was in the wrong location! Richard Crowe is correct. If weight is an issue - pack less clothing.</p>