Flying to the US with Camera Gear

mlawrenc

<p>How are people handling flying to the US with one or no carry-ons.<br>

I personally do not check camera gear, so I am wondering how people are dealing with this traveling mess.<br>

I may be making a major carreer change, jumping from technology to full time traveling photographer for my company. This would require me to travel to almost 50 different countries visiting ~65 offices.</p>

<p>And <strong>check with the airport</strong> <strong>too </strong> as their rules may be different. I got caught at Gatwick [London] once. Continental Airlines allowed one carry-on plus one "personal item" but the airport allowed only the one carry on. No laptop, purse or whatever. Fortunately I was able to squeeze my laptop into my carry on - otherwise I would have had to check it. As has been said, this can all change in a great hurry.</p>

<p>Some us airlines also allow an additional bag for camera equipment specifically. The old TSA regulations stated that you could take one personal, one carry on, and one camera bag. Usually finding out what the current situation is, and printing out a copy will be very helpful. That way you can show who ever you're dealing with that you know what you're entitled. The TSA regulation on camera bags may have changed though, so I would look it up. Time was you could carry 3 items though, sweet deal for sure.<br>

<br />Dave</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I would never send my camera, lenses or other related equipment aboard as check-on luggage. If I needed to carry lighting gear, I would have to bite the bullet and send that through as checked luggage. However, I really don't think that lights and stands are as pilferable as cameras and lenses. You just need to pack them in a secure carrying case. Since your job will be photography, I am sure that your organization will pay the extra luggage fees for the equipment that you need for your work.<br>

Major U.S. flag carriers seem most concerned about the size of a carry-on bag which must fit in their measurement box at the check-in counter.<br>

I have not had my check-on bag weighed at any major U.S. flag carrier. But, I am planning a trip to China and am told that the carry on weight limit for China Airlines is 5kg. That rules out my Lowepro roller bag since it weighs about that empty. I have also been told that they China Air folks don't usually weigh backpacks but, often weigh roller carry-on bags. <br>

I will carry my cameras, lenses and associated equipment in a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW which does not only conform to the size restrictions but, which is, in itself, light weight. I definitely restrict the amount of gear which I carry. However, I fly wearing a photo vest and if my Mini Trekker were to be overweight, I would simply transfer gear to the vest before checking in and then back to the backpack for the flight.<br>

I have had my gear weighed when flying on an Alaska bush flight. This was of course reasonable because the single engine float plane did not have the carrying capacity of an airliner.</p>

<p> </p>