Focusing screen on Rolleiflex 2.8F

mcblue

<p>Hi,<br>

I just received a Rolleiflex 2.8F and it doesn't seem to have the original screen. The screen has faint grid lines and a circular area in the center that's clearer than the rest of the screen (which is really scratched and cloudy). Can anyone identify what type of screen it is and maybe suggest a replacement screen? Thanks.</p>

<p>The original screens I have seen say Rollei or F&H on them. The smooth side should be up and the mat side or the etched side should be down. You could try washing it with a bit of dish soap and water and then blot it dry. Beattie and Maxwell screens are both brighter. </p>

<p>Hi Robert,<br>

It's a 2.8F Planar (12/24) but the serial is 246xxxx, so I'm thinking it might be an early 2.8F Type 2. I don't really know much about thei screens. The screen itself is only really clear in the center where there seems to be a fresnel. I already tried washing it.</p>

<p>I have an 3.5E-2 Xenotar and the stock screen it came with is actually clearer and brighter than the one on the "new" 2.8F. I was actually using an old, plain Beattie screen on the 3.5E-2, but I took that and put it in the 2.8F to take my test shots. I re-inserted the old stock E-2 screen (with a smaller and more subtle fresnel in the center) into the 3.5E-2. I'd likee</p>

<p>What kind of plastic polish can I use on the muddy screen? Thanks!</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I haven't found the Mother's California plastic polish, but I did order a Maxwell screen and it's beautiful. I can focus pretty well in darker areas. It's like a new camera. Reminds me of the Acute-Matte screen on a Hassy.</p>