85mm f/1.2 focus ring play

roisin_murphy

<p>Yep, normal</p>

<p>From http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-85mm-f-1.2-L-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx :</p>

<blockquote>

<p>While manual focusing is also improved, I am a somewhat disappointed that the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM Lens still utilizes a full-time <strong>electronic manual focus</strong> override. Electric manual focus utilizes the focus motor to adjust focus while you turn the focus ring. The camera must be powered on for manual focus to work. I can't say I am inhibited by this feature, but it is not my favorite attribute of this lens. The AF motor is always slightly behind me in this focus-by-wire setup. Manual focus lag is slightly improved over my 85mm version I. The undamped focus ring turns too freely in my personal opinion. It is super smooth, but harder to fine tune. Avoid grasping the MF ring when mounting/dismounting the lens.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>...the manual focus ring has maybe 1mm play...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I got mine from eBay used. The focusing ring "1mm play" as you have described does not happen with my copy. It is solid without any play.</p>

<p>Go visit a camera store and ask to handle their new copy. Bring your lens as well to compare. I am sure the store won't mind (selling you a new one).</p>

<p>It is ingenious to have your problem shown on youtube! No, my copy still doesn't have the play as demonstrated on your video. Have you checked to see if the fasteners haven't been tampered with? If not, it points to either a dropped lens inside a camera bag or it is a problem resulting from the manufacturing stage.</p>

<p>None of my 6 other Canon lenses exhibit this problem.</p>