Clean a focus screen in A Konica TC

<p>I have this smelly Konica TC that I a trying to salvage (actually I got a second one but it had a wrinkled shutter and mirror stick in he up position. Has anyone swapped out a focus screen in one of these? They on in the functioning TC is very dirty and the screen in the broken one looks better.<br>

Any ides?</p>

<p>Dang...I need to run spell check next time. Let's try this again.</p>

<p>I have a beater (yes it is smelly) Konica TC that has a very dirty focus screen. I have tried to clean it with a small brush but the camera spent many years in a working garage so it is pretty gritty in there. Any sugestions how to clean/replace it? I bought a second TC (I bought it to get a lovely little Konica C35 and it was included) that has wrinkled shutter and the mirror stuck in the up position. That screen looks a bit better. Any suggestions that do not involve buying third one? I have a nice clean 50/1.7 and possibly a 40/1.8 and I'd like to use them both. I've been looking on this site and the web and I haven't come across anything so far.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The only safe way I have found to clean plastic screens (out of the camera) is to swish it around in a mild solution of detergent and water. If you must use a brush, follow the circular pattern of the fresnel, if any. Apply NO pressure. Stand on edge to dry. A mild soluton will act like photo-flo and dry without any spots.</p>

<p>I think to clean the screen you will have to at least remove the top and prism of your TC and have the screen out of the camera. Then follow Roger's instructions on cleaning and then reassemble the camera. The problem is that the screen is also very likely to have dirt trapped between the top of screen and the prism and the only way to get to it is to take off the top and prism. Plastic screens are *VERY* fragile and easy to damage.</p>

<p>Kevin, I just completed the same job on a Mamiya/Sekor DTL1000 and believe me, it is not a job you want to tackle without detailed instructions. Once you remove the top cover, then remove the prism you then can get at the focus screen. Of course the Konica may be simpler than the Mamiya, the DTL 100 has a meter switch and stop down lever all built into the film advance lever so you have to begin by disassembling the bottom cover to get the top cover off. I looked around some on the net but haven't found any instructions for the Konica though you may find them with further research. Otherwise you may want to purchase a repair manual if you can find one.</p>

<p>I don't mind trying to DIY but so far I haven't come up with a decent set of instructions (I'lll keep looking though). I hesitate to send it Greg weber to fix because it only cost me $25 and I don't plan to want to spend $100 to fix a $25 camera. I think because the TC isn't a camera I am even certain I will keep. If it were my OM body I would definitely pay to fix it bit the TC is another matter entirely. I think I may just pop for a better Konica body when I can and be done with it.</p>

<p>Well Kevin, if you are considering ditching it, then you have nothing to loose right? I would start with the donor camera first and see if you can figure out how to get the top cover apart. If worse comes to worse then so what? You haven't damaged the camera you were planning to keep and you just might figure it out and be able to fix one of them. Having never even seen a Konica TC, I really can't advise you, I was mainly going on the Mamiya but, that is a different critter all together.</p>

<p>Tom, you know I hadn't thought of it that way but I could just dive into it and see what happens. worse case is I am left with two doorstops and a couple of 50/1.7 lenses. Not the end of the world. My new spanner should be here tomorrow so I guess it's time to dive in and see what happens.</p>

<p>Yea Kevin, if you have a little P+S digital or something you can take pictures of each step or make sketches, of course when you have a photographic memory like mine... ha ha, yea right, I just got thru taking the Mamiya apart and putting it back together again because after I thought I was finished with it the first time, the spot/avg metering switch didn't want to switch. Hey, I took it completely apart, figured out the problem and put it back together in about 45 minutes the second time. Now I realize that a little trim piece didn't get put fully in place and one side is hanging out. Oh well, three times is a charm right?</p>