Compact camera that shoots raw

<p>With a couple of D300s, a D200 and a slew of stuff, I am looking to lighten the load with a compact point and shoot for targets of opportunity when the heavy artillery is not available or appropriate. The Nikon s710 has about all I'm looking for except the ability to save raw files. Does any one have any advice or knowledge of compacts which can shoot raw.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Joe<br>

PS: What's the latest rumor on the D400?<br>

J</p>

<p>Canon G series digicams do RAW but are slightly bigger than what I would call compact. The Panasonic LX3 does if you can live with the limited zoom range, but excellent and fast 24mm f2 wide end. The Ricoh GRIII offers a ton of control, a fast 28mm prime lens and ultimate pocketability.</p>

<p>How "compact" you want the camera and how much zoom capability will open up, or close, certain other options. I have found the RAW option to not be nearly as flexible on a compact camera with the tiny sensor as RAW can be when using larger sensored DSLR's, particularly when it comes to dealing with the noise, which you see at every ISO setting with these cameras. The camera companies do a very good job of getting the best results out of these cameras with their JPEG engines. I often found working with RAW files from compact digicams to not be worth the effort and time compared to what the camera just spits out using the highest quality JPEG setting. </p>

The Nikon P6000 has been discontinued, but is the only recent Nikon compact with RAW mode. Built-in GPS! Reviewers prefer the G11, but Nikon's RAW converter seems better than others. You can go to dcresource.com and search for fixed lens cameras with RAW mode, but only 12 exist, and Greg already covered the best choices.

The question is, why do you want RAW? If you are doing it for more "headroom" in the highlights, you will get more dynamic range from the $250 Fuji F70EXR in DR 400% mode. If you are doing it because you want to save images for posterity, or want to avoid editing JPEG, then why not just buy a Canon G11? It is by far the best camera of its type, until Panasonic introduces the LX4 in a few months.