One Light Portrait with Umbrella

raaj

<p>I'm posting this question in this forum because I'm looking for technical help. I'm just getting into portraits. I tried rembrandt lighting with this shot:<br>

<a href="../photo/10530632">http://www.photo.net/photo/10530632</a><br>

I'm wondering why the image looks so raw/harsh, unlike the smooth portraits I see on photo.net. I'm using a reflective umbrella with a flash. The light source is about 1 meter from the subject. Also, tried edge and butterfly lighting with similar results. Is the problem:<br>

1. not enough post processing? (I just add saturation and sharpen)<br>

2. light angle and distance?<br>

3. problem in the image capture?<br>

4. the dark skin is harder to photograph?<br>

5. my skin is not smooth like a supermodel?<br>

Equipment used is Nikon D80, 85mm, f/2.8, 1/200s, ISO 400, SB-900 with umbrella. Any suggestions are welcome.</p>

<p>What size of umbrella are you using? It seems too small. Also, be sure your flash is geting a reflection of all the umbrella area, not just one portion. If your flash is too near the umbrella, you are just using a portion of it.<br>

Assuming you are using a small umbrella, texture on the skin looks normal. Using a model with makeup and/or good sking will dramatically improve your results. Many model pictures use huge softboxes 1mt or 2mt high. For headshots you need as a minimun 48 inches umbrellas at 2 or three meters. Smaller umbrellas should be near your subjects. In general, the bigger th better and more flexible becomes your light source<br>

Using a fill reflectior will aslo help. Or another flash. I also think your positioned your flash to high, try a little bit down, so the light hits they eyes without shadows.<br>

Hope this helps</p>

<p> </p>

<p>First off I should say that I quite like the portrait - I like a harsher light for male portraits. But to answer your question, if you want softer lighting then you need softer light(!):</p>

<ol>

<li>Move the flash back a bit (1m is very close)</li>

<li>Use a larger umbrella, softbox or bounce the flash off a wall or other large surface</li>

</ol>

<p>David</p>

<p>Thank You Carlos, Bruce, and Dave.</p>

<p>You've given me something to work on. I'm currently using a 46" umbrella. I set the flash zoom as wide as it will go (17mm), and pull the umbrella as far from the flash as possible. I will keep my eyes open for any good deals on a larger umbrella. In the mean time I will play with the light distance, angle, and bouncing off a wall.</p>

<p>Raaj</p>

<p>Let's start with the larger the light source in relationship to your subject, the softer the light. If you bounce your flash off a wall you will get softer light because now the wall becomes the light source. The problem is that you have very little control over where the light goes: it goes everywhere. And, all else being equal, you need more flash power to do it. An umbrella won't be as soft as bouncing off a wall or ceiling (since it's smaller than the wall or ceiling) but it does offer more control over where the light goes. If you can shoot through your umbrella, this is better. This allows you to get the umbrella itself very close, just out of the frame, to your subject (and keep the flash head as far back as you can). All else being equal, the more distance between the subject and the light source, the harder the light. Right now, you aren't really getting <em>soft</em> light. Granted, it's softer than bare bulb. And I am not saying soft light is better than hard light, just different. You are getting small, harsh, specular highlights: the spot on the forehead and nose. I don't want to write a book here, but essentially you light isn't very diffused. The more diffused the light is, the less of those specular highlights you will have. By definition, soft light is diffused. But diffused light isn't necessarily soft! This is one reason softboxes are the tool many professionals will use. It allows you to be very close to the subject, the light is more controlled and where it falls, and a softbox usually has an internal baffle, another layer of diffusion, before the front panel which ultimately becomes the light source. This is a good read on lighting:</p>

<p>http://www.amazon.com/Light-Science-Introduction-Photographic-Lighting/dp/0240808193/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263916140&sr=8-1</p>

<p>Thanks John.</p>

<p>My goal for the rest of this month is to make my flash/umbrella setup a soft as possible. First, I will switch to shoot through, and go from there. If I'm successful, I will post an updated image.</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

• 3 weeks later...