Maybe it's just me, but I think the scope is too broad

keith_anderson7

<p>I understand why this thread is Oly AND 4/3, but personally I think the two topics don't go hand-in-hand anymore. Now we have m4/3, which maybe should be included with 4/3? Why not have Olympus in one thread and 4/3, m4/3 in its own? Thoughts? I scan this forum for stuff on my GF1 and find myself having to wade through a bunch of non-4/3 Oly topics with no relevance.</p>

<p>Oly having it's own thread seems deserving.</p>

<p>There is not enough activity to justify a dedicated 4/3 forum and to be honest, there wasn't enough to justify a dedicated Olympus forum, except that it had already existed for years.</p>

<p>If 4/3 conversation gets to the point where it can support it's own forum, I will consider making one. But having 100 forums with 10 threads a week isn't the way to have a successful community site. I could go into a laundry list of reasons why that is, but given that it is a holiday and I'm supposed to be cleaning out the garage, you are just going to have to trust me on that.</p>

<p>It is not that this forum is too broad, Keith, it is just that it is inactive and plain as white bread to see.( Some active E users like Ray ( Occulus) also use other systems and get into the discussion...a matter of choice, that. I used to feel as you do, Keith. Now I better understand the idea of leaving it as is for now... No downside. I know that the admin people will follow the traffic pattern.</p>

<p>Give it a couple years. The two other forums that I go to on four thirds and micro four thirds specific advice cover much of the 4/3 turf. Yet photo net is a habit for me among my online reading. Just not much "action" here. 4/3 Gear focus wise. But there is lots of choice earmarked elsewhere on line by brand and manufacturer. See what I mean, Keith.</p>

<p>I try to get my 'oar' in whenever I can, to help keep an Olympus/ 4/3- anything-, forum on the marquee. And there are some other folk who likely feel the same way...<br>

Aloha, Keith reasonable thought though in a sense. gerry</p>

<p>First, it's certainly not my intent to offend the admin/moderator, so my apologies if I did.</p>

<p>I *could* look elsewhere for my m4/3 fix if there are other places that do that, but I'd prefer to stay here. This is a great forum all around, the people who frequent this site are relatively polite and professional (I mean relative to others I've used where folks fight with each other and make personal remarks frequently), I've gotten more good advice from this site than the rest combined. So I have no complaints about what this site is all about.</p>

<p>When I thought about getting my GF1, I had some tech questions, and posted my first post about it to the wrong thread. Why? Because my question was not about Olympus and it wasn't about 4/3, it was about Panasonic and m4/3. So my first post came with a fast response saying to post in the "correct" forum that, as far as I could tell, didn't cover Panasonic or m4/3, which is why I didn't post there to begin with.</p>

<p>It strikes me that some reasons the m4/3 thread isn't more active is because it's not really labeled or dedicated to that.</p>

<p>I don't see too much need to break out new threads by manufacturer but by format makes more sense.</p>

<p>Perhaps the lack of activity in the Oly/ 4/3 section also reflects the fact that this forum overall isn't that excited about m4/3, in that case the changes I suggested are meaningless. I'm fairly certain that's not entirely the problem though.</p>

<p>Go ahead and offend a moderator,Keith. They crave the attention:-) I jest. <br>

Important thing is did you ferret out an answer to your micro 4/3 question.Micro 4/3 is still 4/3?. Panasonic has cast its lot with the 4/3 consortium. Olympus OM users still swear by their cameras. One day OM'ers may pick up an E-1 and think wow this is not so bad and I can use the OM lenses in manual focus and A mode. It is win win..I think I raised an identical question two years ago, as in why not a 4/3 forum. Splice is fine so far as I can tell. I could be wrong.<br>

Agree on some other fora. One frequent poster there,sh e mailed me saying she dropped out for a long while, got a little put out over what she called 'pixel peeping.' And worse pixelpeeping to the point of public brawls . You know just what she meant. <br>

I know how to give and take in that sense.. I grew up in a a tough urban neighborhood. Territorial sticks with some folkd.. I feel lately what my yoga guru said " There is so much to learn, Gerry,we don't have <strong>time</strong> for that sort of thing.") Stick around, we need new and old ideas..freshens up the place, Keith.</p>