80s style, what did it?

<p>Hello fellow photographers,<br>

I am obsessed with the photographic look in the 80s, from photography to movies, mostly movies. The way the grain looked in advertising in magazines. How John Hughes films and other greats looked with .. uhh I can't describe it. There were just these wonderful cold backgrounds with saturated colors accenting them.<br>

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone here was working at that time that could tell me if certain types of films or processing was used on purpose for that style, or what was it. What types of cameras, ISO of films, and maybe printing. <br>

If you don't know, what do you think is the best way to find this stuff out? Should I contact cinematographers of that time? Is their equipment list any good for photographers?<br>

Thanks!<br><P>

Rob</p><P>

<I>Moderator's Note: Photo removed in compliance with Photo.net Terms of use. "You agree to upload and post only User Content that you have created yourself"</I><P>

Do not upload photos that you have not taken yourself. It is okay to provide a link to photos..</p>

<p>Ross Halfin would be the guy to ask. It took me a while to remember his name, then when I did, I found his website. He was, in my opinion, the main photographer for Def Leppard and a lot of other bands in the 80's. You can find his info at his website, http://www.rosshalfin.com/home/intro.php<br /> I've only looked at his site briefly, but I know that he mentions types of cameras, etc that he has used. He has a lot of galleries to look at on his site, too. Hope this helps you.<br /> Anna Plummer</p>

<p>Professionals were shooting a lot of Ektachrome back in the 80's for ad work. It would have been the older stuff like EPN which tended to go cold in the shadows. A lot of warming filters were also used. Ektachrome for the 80's had a very visible but crisp gain structure. <br>

Not much like it around today. Kodak made EPN until about 2 years ago....so you may find some on the auction site.</p>