17-35mm f2.8 stiff zoom ring

suk_jung_choo

<p>Hello,<br>

today I was out shooting in the cold.......but not that cold (about 3 deg. C). I noticed that after a while the zoom ring of my 17-35mm lens became noticeable stiff. I was really surprised because it was a problem that I never noticed before. Then, after the lens was sitting in the living room for several hours, I tried the zoom ring again in the hopes that maybe it was the temperature, and as it turned out the movement became smooth again. So I'm assuming that this was the problem. Is there a solution to this. If it stiffened at 3 deg.C then I can only imagine how usable it will be under really cold temperatures.<br>

Any replies greatly will be greatly appreciated.<br>

Thank you.<br>

SJ.</p>

<p>It's quite likely that the lubricating grease in the zoom mechanism has lost viscosity at the very low ambient temperature and as a result the zoom has felt tight with a lot more resistance to throw the zoom in and out. If this is the case, then I'd not be too fussed so long as you can maintain full zooming capability without using excessive force to rotate the zoom ring.</p>