No Receipt... No Warranty!!!

tomadakis

<p>I called the warranty repair place in Arizona.<br>

In order to cover the camera they need a receipt. Logical. Unfortunately, for the life of me, we can not find it.<br>

My wife bought the K20D with the kit lens brand new for me as a gift only a few months ago.<br>

They said the average repair costs $260 on this body.<br>

I feel very frustrated, to say the least. This is not fair, the camera is new, I am sure they can confirm that by the serial number or the number of shots taken. I have owned Pentax for more than 20 years, and love it. Never had to use the warranties of anything Pentax.<br>

I really expected that Pentax would stand behind their product in good faith to a loyal customer. I am disappointed. I am not a rich person, but honestly, it is not the money, it is the principal.<br>

<strong>What do I do?</strong> <br>

<a href="../pentax-camera-forum/00VPgL">http://www.photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00VPgL</a></p>

<p><em>I really expected that Pentax would stand behind their product in good faith</em></p>

<p>Did they tell you that you could receive warranty service if you didn't have a receipt and then adopt a different position later? If you accepted their terms, its hard to say they acted in bad faith when they abide by those terms. Many camera manufacturers have receipt requirements for various reasons. Frustrating as it may be, Pentax shouldn't be singled out as the bad guy.<em><br /> </em></p>

<p><em><br /> </em></p>

<p>Proof of Purchase is a pretty ordinary requirement for a warranty, so don't blame Pentax. As mentioned, many sellers and/or credit card companies can provide this after the fact. I've gotten duplicate receipts for products purchased more than a year earlier. If it was purchased at a "Big Box" store like Best Buy or Costco, they can print one on the spot at their customer service counter.</p>

<p>John and Rick. I am not blaming Pentax for the requirement. I understand it fully. I am frustrated nevertheless because the camera failed and my warranty is void because I can't find a small piece of paper.<br />:o(<br />There are exceptions to every rule and some make total sense. I never read the fine print. I did not read the warranty.<br />I owned the K10D, I wanted the K20D, they had one at the store on "Going out of Business sale", I paid for it and took it home. We paid cash for it and the store is no longer there. Actually, I wanted the body only but they only had the kit, I never use the kit zoom.<br />Anyway, I think what I need to do is just get it fixed. It's a great camera.</p>

<p>That's unfortunate. :-( It hadn't even occurred it me that you might have paid cash for it. I usually use my credit card to purchase anything over $200, even if I have the cash readily available, because the credit card provides an added level of protection in the event that something goes wrong. Alas, hindsight is 20/20. :-(</p>

<p>I wonder if there are any places that do DSLR repairs that might be less expensive than sending it to Pentax's contract shop...</p>

<p>R.T.<br>

I don't think I have a choice to the matter. I have not heard of any other outfit for DSLRs. I have heard good things about them. They said they will give me an estimate before they do the work.<br>

I got a great deal when I bought the camera and now I feel a bit cheated.<br>

You know all these thermal printer receipts do fade away if exposed to light.<br>

We are the customer, there should be a better way than a little piece of thermal paper... am I still venting?</p>

<p>Antoni,<br>

Here is a case, where I would simply get a hold of Ned bunnel.<br>

Being that you are a great member here in good standing and such, I am sure he should be able to get you taken care of. If he can't do anything about it, then proceed to plan B.</p>

<p>In this day and age of computers, and with product registration after purchase being followed by the customer, it would seem that this kind of problem should become obsolete. After all, when I recently shopped at Sears for a car battery, they brought me up on the computer by using my phone number and other info. They could tell me when I bought my last battery from them, as well as tires, etc. etc. </p>

<p><em>I am not blaming Pentax for the requirement.</em></p>

<p>You clearly did in the last paragraph but since clarified in your follow up post the company is not to blame. I feel for the anguish you are encountering in general. Your post can serve as a reminder for people to be extra careful when paying with cash or avoiding cash altogether for these sort of things. I hope things work out better than anticipated right now.<em><br /> </em></p>

<p>>You know all these thermal printer receipts do fade away if exposed to light.We are the customer, there should be a better way than a little piece of thermal paper... am I still venting?<br>

.<br>

While I feel your frustration, part of buying any expensive item is squaring away the paperwork in case you need warranty service. This means securing the receipt in a file, or at least storing it in the camera box. If you ever do get a thermal receipt, you should photocopy or scan it for your records. Just make it an exercise you go through with every purchase.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Maybe you could make yourself a copy of the receipt? If they might accept a copy, it could be worth making one. Since you do not have the original, you will need to make your copy from memory.<br>

If this was cheating on a warranty (by extending it for example) I'd be opposed to it, but if it's just a piece of paper to back up what you know to be true it seems to be less dishonest.</p>