Qflash T5d-R with Canon 5D Mark II anyone?

<p>I manage to rent the Qflash T5d-R for a test run before my next purchase; i rented last week but it is giving me an unstable shoot. So this week I will try again. My set up is center weigh, auto focus, and single shot, D adapter for Canon and I shoot in manual. The QTTl and auto fill mode is kept on hitting over exposure and telling me out of range. I have two 580exII with PW TT1 with my 5D Mark II and it is very easy to use but the Qflash is giving me headache. I watched the video on Quantum web site how to set up but I'm not getting it. At one point they mention to shoot TTL in auto program mode? Did I miss that..AUTO mode? <br>

Anyone is using this set up please let me know what you like and don't; if you can shine some light to my path I would be very happy. I got two days to test before returning the unit.<br>

Thanks<br>

Wayne L</p>

<p>Interesting, and a little disconcerting. I have the Canon 5D MKII and just purchased the T5d-R and received it yesterday. Did some test shots in my house that showed no real problems. I have a shoot tomorrow (Sunday) and intend to go to location today for test shots in preparation for the shoot. Based on the tutorial and my test shots so far, I expect to use auto mode most of the time, since I'm looking principally for fill. I'll be shooting portraits outside and inside a greenhouse. I'll let you know how they work out. And if I forget to get back to you, please send me a note. Sometimes I even forget to eat. :) david </p>

<p>I'm sure Bob Bernardo will respond, but do some searches on the topic. Also look for Tom Meyer's posts (he is in the Lighting forum). The cameras they use may not be the 5D, and the Qflash may not be the exact model, but info on the Qflash performance is relevant.</p>

<p>Generally speaking, the concensus is that auto thyristor mode is more accurate than QTTL--even Quantum says so. My question would be--why do you want to use the Qflash? There are good reasons, but if it is for ease of use with ETTL, I would say that is problematic.</p>

Before I can advise you, can you tell me what your distance was when getting your errors regarding over exposing? Maybe even post an image or 2.

I have a concern about your D adaptor. If it isn't a current adaptor set up for the 5d M2, you will get some really inconsistant exposure changes. For example, if you take 2 or 3 shots of a subject without changing a thing, and the flash isn't consistant, your D adaptor may be defective or out of day for your mark 2. At the bottom of the cord there should be a code. Call Quantum and ask if this code is up to date. It is also possible that the T5 needs updating. I had both units updated when I started shooting with the mark 3's.

Some photogaphers prefer using the Auto setting instead of the TTL setting. Well, I use both, and also manual settings. With this flash if you are closer than 3 feet or so, expect to be over exposed. You can correct this by setting the D adaptor to minus 2 or so. Also, most of the time anything over 10 feet or so, I usually switch to manual for exact exposures. These aren't rules, just settings I feel comfortable with.

Feel free in emailing me. I'm pretty sure I haven't answered your questions because of a lack of information.

By the way I really like Quantums for their consistency, power, the use of creative lighting features and

techniques, such as using the dome, bare bulb, and even the softbox. As with any type of gear it takes a bit of time to master the controls. Before I started using the quantums full-time I practiced with them for about a month before trusting myself with them.

<p>I went from the fully manual Normans -- so had a little idea what to expect. But like the smaller battery and the TD5 head fits on my hotshoe. There is setting for something like 3-15ft or beyond to infinity -- to further confuse you :-)</p>