New Member with N90S

gateway

<p>Hello all!</p>

<p>It's been too long since being a part of Nikon SLR photography-1980's! Now, I've found/bought a N90S accompanied by a grip, and Tamron lens.</p>

<p>Things to do: buy more Nikon lenses!</p>

<p>Interested in outdoor shooting, including black-and-white work.<br /><br />Background: In college, a single Minolta camera and lens, and following graduation-worked at a camera store and bought a black FE, winder, and mutiple lenses through the EPOI program. After the kids were born, it was sold on consignment. I've retained thousands of Kodachrome and Ektachrome slides from those years. Fortunately, we have a good Carousel projector and multiple tripods on-hand.</p>

<p>See you on the forums...</p>

<p>Welcome and may your N90s give you years of joy and great photographs.</p>

<p>I would also suggest a fast prime standard lens (if you're into available light and don't mind zooming with your legs). Sort of like the trusty 50mm f/1.8. Mine spends a lot of time attached to my N90s and you can't beat the price/performance combination.</p>

<p>Sure, I'll chime in. i used to have an N90s, and it was a great camera except for the noise. I sold mine, and now have an N70. The N70 is drastically quieter and focuses just as quickly with the same model lenses. I hate to sound like a pessimist, but if the noise from your N90s starts to bother you, consider selling it to buy an F100 or for peanuts, an N70. <br>

I personally like the 35-70 and 50 1.8, but the 28-70 gets great reviews also. And don't rule out the AI manual focus lenses.</p>

<p>Hello John</p>

<p>What kind of shooting in particular do you want to do? I'd really suggest a good prime wide angle if it will fit your style. I have the 20mm 2.8D and find it to be just an incredible lens. I could never get rid of it, and I rarely even do landscapes. I find it to give a dramatic perspective with very little distortion. It's definately a highly corrected lens and worth every penny.</p>

<p>Just ordered a used E-Excellent, Nikkor 28-70/f3.5-4.5D-AF lens. The Tamron will find a new home, soon. In the short run, I'll be shooting the Ohio River, riverboats and giving the 28-70 a workout with a coated CP or Haze filter-attached.</p>

<p>I have found Elitechrome 100 or 200 to be an excellent general purpose E-6 film. Very sharp, low grain and natural skin tones and colors. Great for projection, prints or scanning. The N90s is a terrific camera and is well thought of. Good luck.</p>

<p>Hi John, welcome to photo.net. One good way to get started is show some of your work in our very popular Wednesday image threads, a tradition started by <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=499258">Jose Angel</a> and currently run by <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=2344388">Matt Laur</a>. The following is the current week's thread: <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00VUGW">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00VUGW</a></p>