Anonymous Voting

blue-olympus

<p>It's not anonymous to us. Photo.net can see exactly who is leaving what ratings on which images. Ratings are monitored for unusual activity and action is taken when suspicious activity is detected. Ratings (and raters) are removed when the activity is seen to be fraudulent or abusive.</p>

<p>As Bob says, there are people who know who the raters are. As I learned when I was an editor for a professional journal, anonymous review of anything often brings out the worst in people, but the alternative can lead to namby-pamby "good words" because of fear of retribution rather than honest reviews. You got to trust somebody in this world, and the moderators are best equipped to pick both vendettas and overly positive reviews of buddies.</p>

<p>Among my many disappointments in assessing the mass activity of our species, are the contrary cases that make us proud-- most people (even on eBay) turn out to be honest. Most people really try hard to be fair. It's the only reason things work at all.</p>

<p>I subject myself to it by posting images in the critique forum. So I have no one to blame but myself. However, I am disapointed with the critique forum. I have received ratings of 3 on images that are substantially better than that. There is no explanation or discussion about why a reviewer gives such a rating. A rating of 3 implies a substantial mistake in an image; poor exposure, poor framing, poor composition, etc. Maybe there should be a requirement that ratings less than 4 require an explanation, while still retaining anonymity for the reviewer. At any rate, I am considering stopping my contributions to the critique forum. Since the critique forum is a major attraction for me, I am considering leaving the site entirely. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I have received ratings of 3 on images that are substantially better than that."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Doug, which particular photos do you believe deserved better ratings? I looked at three of your most recent uploads - b&w architectural studies - and can see why some viewers might have rated them 4 or lower. I saw obvious flaws, including inconsistent application of perspective correction on some parts of the buildings, while others were left uncorrected with with converging verticals. And the overall approach to leveling and alignment seemed indifferent. Unless you were deliberately trying for a non-standard or surrealistic effect, I can see why those photos would have received mediocre ratings.</p>

<p>If you want a forced explantion for a 3 you're likely to get "it sucks". I doubt that would be of much additional help to you.</p>

<p>A 3 to some people simply means "I don't like it". Some people hate HDR images. Some hate pictures of babies. Some hate obvious Photoshopping. Some hate pretentious frames and signatures. Who knows what will turn a viewer off.</p>

<p>If you can't take "It sucks, I hate it", then you probably shouldn't post since there will always be someone who feels that way about something. Personally I really don't care what complete strangers think about my work.</p>

<p>If you can"t say something nice (you know the rest). I've always felt that giving poor ratings is counterproductive, afterall if nothing was said about an image would'nt that be considered a less than stellar image. I'm all about constructive criticism I've submitted some images I was pretty proud of, and had no responses, and others I didn't think much about got alot of comments. In the end were all people who enjoy taking pictures. HUGS AND KISSES TO ALL.</p>