Bum Elmar 50

mjferron

<p>Bought a Leica M3 DS a short time ago along with the old Elmar 50mm 2.8. Camera works great but using this combo I couldn't get a sharp shot to save my life. I purchased a VC 40mm 1.4 and 40mm finder and things are tack sharp. Put the Elmar to a bright light and it's quite dirty inside. Wondering if the Elmar is worth servicing considering it's age and it's price point. The front element looks decent on the outside.</p>

<p>(BTW I love that 40mm finder. Seems almost brighter than real life.)</p>

<p>If the glass isn't scratched up, yes it is indeed worth the investment of around $75 to have it properly cleaned. Also, anyone who can clean it well be responsible enough to decline the job if there's other damage (scratches, etc.) that make it not worth the cost of cleaning.</p>

<p>This lens has its iris diaphragm placed between the first and second elements and is notorious for depositing oil vapor on the back of the front element. This very soon causes pitting of the glass, ruining the lens beyond economic repair. I have thrown away 2 examples of this lens for this reason (after examination by an expert repairman).</p>