Portland, Oregon: Photogenic?

adrian_stone1

<p >I am a keen British photographer and I will be staying in Portland in June and July this year. I am a photographic judge and lecturer with the East Anglian Federation of Photographic Societies here in the UK. I judge competitions and also select images for annual exhibitions for about 80 clubs and societies throughout the year. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I hope to produce a travel lecture on the Pacific Northwest during the course of this trip. My aim is to go beyond a standard portrayal of tourist destinations. In the past I've tried to capture the spirit of the area I'm visiting. It will include landscapes, candid street scenes, portraiture, and images which display the daily life of the residents, including workplaces. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I would like to make contact with photographers in the Portland area beforehand as I imagine their experience and advice would be invaluable to me. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Any advice regarding unusual photographic subjects would be just great. I will be using public transport. </p>

<p ></p>

<p >Many thanks for reading this message.</p>

<p ></p>

<p >Adrian Stone</p>

<p>There are some wonderful places to photograph in the northwest, and I've found it worthwhile to make four trips to the area from the UK in the last ten years. What I have to tell you is that you will be hampered in achieving the best this area has to offer by not having access to a car, and either getting to or staying close to places that you can photograph early or late in the day. If there is any way you could reassess the "public transport" decision, and stay in a wider array of locations than you have indicated, then I'm sure that would be justified by your results.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. The rose garden will be a favourite of my wife's, and I'll enjoy the market and the Chess. There's a wealth of ideas in your flickr links.<br>

I'm thinking i need to be being realistic about my transport options, a combination of public and private transport probaly makes sense.</p>

<p>Thanks for all your ideas.</p>

Thanks for your suggestion Ricardo. Other threads suggest it is now closed to the general public; access is limited to those with relatives buried there. I assume there is a limit to how much photographing can be done too.

Anyone else know if there is a way to photograph the interior without causing offence?

<p>If the driving is a matter of cost, you might be surprised that car rental (hire) in the U.S. West can be pretty reasonable. With a car, you can take a weekend trip to the San Juan Islands in Washington State which can be wonderful. And you should get out to the Oregon coast. U.S. rental cars are nearly all automatic, which makes the transition to driving on the proper side of the road much easier. (For me, shifting with my left while driving in the UK required concentration.) Also, roundabouts, which can challenge ingrained habits about left and right and right-of-way, are rare in the U.S. Finally, it's nothing like driving in continental Europe -- far more tame. Have a great trip.</p>

Hello Hector. Thanks for your advice. Yes the transport options are still under review. We have driven a lot in the USs, and i'm very comfortable with it.

We had a rather negative experience of hiring a Ford Galaxy from Alamo for three weeks in 2007 in California. It's price when booked in the UK was about US$ 650.00, yet with various additional charges on collecting it, including additional insurance, it cost US$ 1200.00, which we thought was excessive. To add insult to injury they charged us double the cost of a full fuel tank on returning it as we hadn't filled the tank, yet I had filled it to the brim immediately before checking the vehicle in. It may be that UK licence holders without a US insurance record pay more than locals. Arguably they must constitute more of a risk.

Anyway I've had a lot of advice suggesting that the flexibility of having a vehicle on hand is a real bonus, so I'll give it some more thought.

Will best wishes. Adrian

<p>June or July are wonderful months to visit the Portland area.<br>

A car will be almost a necessity in order to see the Portland area beyond the standard locations such as the Rose Garden, the nearby Japanese Gardens and the Saturday market.<br>

Multnomah falls is pretty much a "must-see" sight in the Portland area.<br>

<a href="http://www.oregon.com/attractions/multnomah_falls">http://www.oregon.com/attractions/multnomah_falls</a></p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Hi Adrian,<br /> I have been living and photographing in Portland for the past decade. There are definitely quite a lot of interesting places to photograph, other then the beaten path/tourist areas.<br /> Since you are visiting in the summer, I highly suggest Sauvie's Island. This Island is only a 30 minute drive from the city or you can take the public bus up to the entrance too. The Island is quite big and varied, so driving will be much more conducive.<br /> If you wish, I would be happy to host you in shooting when you are here.<br /> You can visit my website www.BobbyChitrakar.com Most of photography is done in and around Portland.<br /> Cheers,<br /> Bobby Chitrakar</p><div>00ViF4-218413584.jpg.a2699fa73009c074b232d3d23584b483.jpg</div>