What equipment would you bring for a month-long roadtrip?

john_gallino1

<p>Here's a variant on well known tripod advice that fits this situation, "the best _tripod, camera, lens_etc. is what you are willing and able to carry". You don't want to be cursing your equipment as you try to climb a very technical trail nor do you want to be constantly saying, "if only I brought along ...".<br /><br />If you you are hiking alot with non photographers that will dictate also what you bring along. If you can even though it adds bulk find a light weight hiking tripod otherwise you will miss some fantastic stuff at dusk and daybreak.<br>

Bring lots of heavy duty zip lock bags ... you really can't have too many. My final advice, if you are doing extensive hiking and scrambling simple is best. In fact if have any sort of pocketable point and shoot bring that along as a back up and for the days when you need to be as light and mobile as possible.<br>

And while someone pointed out bring your best (otherwise what's the point of owning it) which I agree with go back to the original sentence, overtime will the D300 weight become an albatross. BTW, I own a D300 and absolutely love everything about it except the weight. On some occasions I left it behind I just brought my Canon G11 and other times I carried the full load. It all depends on *your* goals and how much you and the others are willing to put up with.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>When I travel overseas and spend much of my time on foot, I want to carry the least I can get by with. That means no tripod in most cases. However, when I travel domestically and know I'll have access to a car, I tend to pack heavier. In that situation I carry a tripod. As others have mentioned the best looking photos are the low light ones. Tripods also slow you down and help you concentrate better. I have a carbon fiber Manfrotto 190CX with a 486 ball head. It is lightweight and excellent for travel.<br>

If I was in your situation I bring three cameras: D90 with 10-20 and 18-200mm; N90 with a 24, 35, and 50mm lens; and a Lumix P&S. I always like to bring a film camera because landscapes just look fantastic with Velvia film.</p>

<p>If you are not really happy with your landscape shots, I would encourage you to bring your 105 Micro-Nikkor. Why not try and focus on the small stuff instead? A macro opens up a whole new world. The 105 is normally a tack sharp lens, and it has VR if you really do not want to bring a tripod or monopod.</p>

<p>And, if you do not want to spend money, pair it with the 18-70 and 50. If not consider the 16-85 and/or 35 1.8. I cannot comment on which body to bring because I have the D300, but not the D90.</p>

<p>Happy trails!</p>

<p>--Ken</p>

<p>Take the expensive stuff and leave the lesser items at home. No sense in spending all that money on good gear if you're not going to use it on something as potentially rewarding as this trip may prove to be (photography wise). If it will make you feel more comfortable, buy some camera insurance before you go.</p>