Buying new lcd

<p>I am thinking of replacing my crapped out Viewsonic 930b-3 (still under warranty but discontinued) with a Viewsonic VP2365wb. It is a fairly new monitor but the reviews I have read say the color is accurate and contrast ratio is good but the brightness is somewhat low. Is that something I should care about in photo editing?? My old monitor blew me away with the brightness and I had to tone it down when calibrating anyway. This will be strictly used for photo editing. No games or speakers or watching movies. Maybe not so bright is a good thing for photo editing???? Any input on Viewsonic monitors overall?? This one isn't top of the line but is advertised as a professional grade. Thanks</p>

<p>There’s nothing unique about the ViewSonic line. For photo editing, you’d probably want a wide gamut “smart monitor” like those from NEC or Eizo. Kind of expensive but there’s a newer entry level unit from NEC (P221W) that I’ve worked with that are quite impressive and affordable. There’s a thread just below discussing these and other such displays. </p>

<p>The reviews sound goofy however. Lower contrast ratio is better for photo work (soft proofing) as are lower brightness (most LCD’s are too bright, hence the dreaded complaints of “my prints are too dark”). </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Thanks Andy.....that's kind of what I wanted to hear. "Lower contrast ratio and brightness are better for photo work." Since this is going to be a warranty replacement I pretty much have to stay with Viewsonic. The one I am looking at has the same contrast ratio and brightness as the P221W you suggested.</p>