Need advice and suggestions for Dell U2410

<p >Hi,<br>

I am hoping to move into more serious digital printing. I started off by upgrading my monitor. For my budget, I decided on the Dell U2410, which got some very good reviews, particularly at FlatpanelsHD. I currently have a low end Huey.<br>

I would appreciate any advice and suggestions on how best to set up the monitor. I am willing to spend some on a better calibrator, so what is your recommendation for this particular monitor? One thing I immediately noticed is that the new monitor is quite bright, even after I turn down the brightness to 17 out of a hundred (don't know what that really means). That is roughly the point I was using on my previous monitor. I do want to better match the monitor to prints.<br>

I will also move to processing in aRGB, which I understand is better for preparing files for printing. However, what do people do when outputing for the web? I assume just converting the color space is sufficient. Do I need to have another monitor to see what that would look like?<br>

As for printer, I am considering either the HP B8850, and the Epson 3880 if I can get some additional funds.<br>

Sorry if I am asking some naive questions. I did so a search for U2410 on this site, but did not find much.<br>

Thank you in advance.</p>

<p>I'm also in the same boat as you: I just bought a U2410 and am figuring out how to tame it. For a start, I am using Adobe Gamma (which used to be provided with Photoshop but no loger is: you should be able to find a download on the net, though) to do a very rough "calibration". I find that, to be able to calibrate the monitor, I need to set the brightness set to zero. Yes, zero, 0, zilch, the lowest possible value. My understanding is that this is the normal situation with most LCD monitors. But I'm planning on getting a hardware calibration device at some point and doing it right, so I'm looking forward to other responses.</p>

<p>I think, though, that aRGB is the way to go with the U2410, since it's aRGB mode matches the aRGB gamut almost perfectly. This page recommends sRGB, though.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/sRGB-AdobeRGB1998.htm">http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/sRGB-AdobeRGB1998.htm</a></p>

<p>David, I am now at 0 for brightness, which I think is closer to print. I am still using the Huey but plan to buy a different monitor calibrator. Thanks for the link. I think the bottom line is use the mode that is most appropriate for one's use. Since I plan to print with a wide gamut printer, I think that aRGB is more appropriate. I do worry about images I post on the web, so I will have to convert and review in sRGB. Overall, I have to say I am pleased so far with the monitor, much better than my previous one.</p>

<p>Chas, thanks for the link. I am in the process of digesting the information.</p>

<p>Still would like to hear about others' experience and suggestions.</p>

<p> </p>