SB-800 problems

pierre_levasseur

<p>I use a D200 with MB-D200, SB-800, Nikkor 85mm AF. My SB-800 is working mad. I use it and all images call total black. Test with pop up flash and images ok, so not the d200. I changed the batteries, reset the unit but nothing seems to amke it worked. Same problem on all modes TTL, AA, M. When using test button it flashes full blast and seems to work.<br>

I also have a new thing on my D200. The code r21 is blinking where the shot number is. I know when this is there it is because the buffer is full but never happen before and dont change the way I shoot? Can it be a problem with my Sandisck cards or something else?</p>

<p>thanks.</p>

<p>I don't know the issue with your SB-800, but the R21 message is not an error and purely informational on the buffer depth you have left in memory.</p>

<p>Did you perhaps turn long exposure noise reduction on? That takes some time and memory and sometimes gives you these informational messages. Other ways to get the R21 message is saving big files in burst (a series of RAW), active D lightning (not on D200) etc. And yes, slow memory is an option as well.</p>

<p>But I would not blame the memory but something you changed on the camera. Memory does not go wacky from one day to the other, and if it does it will not be accessible. And it would give the code 'CHA'.</p>

<p>A suggestion: remove your MB-D200, then test the camera - flash combination. [And if you are shooting a large number of images with the SB-800, you may wish to slow down a bit. If you overheat the flash, it will be most un-cooperative.]</p>