5D MkII and others, do you KNOW your sync speed?

scott_ferris

<p>Interesting reading. Note that there are 3 aspects to this:</p>

<ol>

<li>Variations in the shutter. Some cameras will have a shutter that is a little faster or slower than 1/200 sec.</li>

<li>The timing between the flash and the camera. If the flash responds a little slow to the trigger signal from the camera you might have to reduce the sync speed. </li>

<li>The duration of the flash. The flash pulse is not instantanious. If a studio flash puts out a full power flash that lasts longer than 1/100 of a second a flash sync speed faster than 1/200 of a second is possible.</li>

</ol>

<p>I just tried this with my 5D MkI and 430EX flash and discovered that my camera will not allow me to set the shutter speed higher than 1/200 in manual mode. :( So all I can say about my camera is that my sync speed is 1/200.</p>

<p>But Steven, did you get a full illumination at 100% power at 1/200? Also, can you fire your 430EX via a PC socket and one of <a href="http://strobist.blogspot.com/2009/05/universal-translator-ushers-in-new-age.html">these</a> at faster than 1/200 at less than 100% power (if you can do that) and get even illumination.</p>

<p>Glad you liked it, it is good info for those interested in daylight syncing etc.</p>