Inexpensive mail order 120 C41 processing?

r.t. dowling

I've only used mail order C-41 from two places. I like <a href="http://www.aandi.com/">A&I</a> for Fuji films (they print on Fuji Cystal Archive paper) and <a href="http://www.dalelabs.com/">Dale Laboratories</a> for Kodak films (they print on Kodak paper). I think A&I costs around $13.50 for a mailer and Dale Labs costs around $10 depending on the film size (6x6 vs. 6x7 etc...) I've had a bit more experience with A&I as I tend to use more Fuji films than I do Kodak and have always been happy with my prints.

<p>

Another option to consider might be Kodak mailers (as Philip suggests in the Film Processing article). I've never used them and I'm not completely sure they even have a 120 mailer available, but I believe most people are generally satisfied Kodak processing.

<p>

To be sure, for just about any of my professional work, I tend to use (and develop a relationshp with a local professional laboratory). It will likely be more expensive, but I would encourage you to do the same. I only send just-shooting-around photos of family and friends to a mail order lab...

Neither Dale or A&I are much cheaper than my local pro lab.

Timeless Photo and Imaging will process and proof from 6x4.5 ONLY for $7 a roll 120, $10 a roll 220 ($9 and $12 including postage.) That could help you with the Holga if you use it in 4.5 mode. You might include a comment about the density of the negatives, etc. - not sure how they will handle that if they are surprised ;>) http://timelessphoto.com

There is another, recent thread here on the same topic. I did not find any other useful suggestions there. The one lab that looked promising online was apparently closed when I called. There was a message with a different number, and prices when I called there were about the same as my local lab.

Interesting that it is so hard to find low cost proofing when I can get cheap 35mm processing with double prints for $5 a roll - for 72 prints! Cheapest I can find other than Timeless is about .80 per print, $16 for 20 exposure 6x7, $18 with postage. The Timeless pricing by comparison is pretty good, 33 proofs for $12 from a modern 6.45 (Pentax 645N, etc.) Volume and demand I guess.

And yes, I do support my local lab and use them heavily for my work. (About $5,000 plus last year.) I just can't afford $18-$22 a roll for 15-20 rolls when experimenting with Holga or other new techniques till I get it down.

Best,

Michael

Another option availible is to have your film film printed to contact strips; I just got 2 rolls back for just over $11. I've found that having my work printed to strips and then having the real gems proofed/enlarged helps keep the cost down and improves skill.

The down side is that (usually) contact strips are not exposure/color corrected; any errors you've made in exposure will be immediatly apparent. For me, this is a great way to keep my technique sharp.

D.M. Elick