Error 99! Ugh.

gabriel_l1

<p>2-year old Rebel XS, aka 1000D, one year out of warranty, has suddenly been giving frequent "Error 99" messages and refusing to shoot.<br>

<br />Have got the message with multiple lenses, with NO lens, before and after cleaning contacts, with different batteries (both full), and with different SD cards (both formatted). Seems therefore to be the body malfunctioning somehow.</p>

<p>I've done my homework and I understand that this error is (rather unhelpfully—stupid Canon programmers) a "catch-all" that tells the user almost nothing. So my question isn't advice so much as "how much is this going to cost me?"<strong> If I send it for repairs, what are some of the typical Error 99 fixes and their related costs?</strong></p>

<p>I suspect the answer will be "not worth it, get a new camera." This is a bit of a problem for me unfortunately, I am only an enthusiast and REALLY was not planning on getting a new camera any time soon. And if I did, it would have been by selling the old one and upgrading, not getting a brand new low-end DSLR. </p>

<p>What a royal pain. Mostly I'm annoyed at whoever decided that a single error message was a better idea than specific error codes.</p>

<p>Just send it in for a quote. Once its ready, upon request canon can send you a quote with the exact problem and cost of fix. If its not worth it to you, they send it back. You can still sell on ebay with that written quote and see how much you'll get. If its worth it sell it if not, get a new one.</p>

<p>I would follow Ed K's advice. I am sure even being a month or two out of warranty they will still repair. If not then take Puppyface's advice and go with the Canon loyalty plan. I am going to do that myself soon to upgrade as I am having trouble wih my current camera.<br>

Good luck!<br>

David</p>