monitor or video card failing ?

<p>My monitor is behaving strangely. Hard to describe it, but it kinda distorting the text/image, and jumping, and there are sometimes lines running across it. Occasionally, not constantly.<br>

How can I tell definitively if it's the graphics (video) card or the display itself that is failing ?<br>

I need to know which (display or card) is the trouble maker.<br>

Mac OS</p>

<p>thanks,<br>

Frank</p>

<p>I don't have a spare monitor to test but will try to borrow one.<br /> Although, because the problem is intermittent., borrowing one isn't an instant answer.<br /> <br /> The other symptom I forgot to mention is that the color is now faded/washed out. I usually calibrate and have good results but I cant re-calibrate with this problem going on.<br /> <br /> Is there a way of testing the video card?<br /> <br /> It's an LCD monitor.</p>

<p>HiFrank,<br>

The fault that you are seeing is can be caused by what is commonly called mother board creak. Where the machine has been used for a long period of time with out being serviced. The parts in in the machine heat up and cool down time and time and time and time again. You can loose connection with one or more of the connections on cards inserted in machines. This is enought to cause the effect you are seeing (Personal Experience)<br>

The cure, as mentioned by Keith is correct, however I have an added word of caution. When removing the graphics card be carefull of gripping the output socket on the card. One of the other weak ponts on the card is the connection between that plug and the graphics card printed circut board . The solder heats up and cools down on that connection too. I have found these brittle also. Get hold of the metal brace and the back end of the card. What is a usefull tip, is to use an old tooth brush to clean the coppor/brass contacts on the graphics card when you have it out. Making sure all the time to only touch the edges of the card. No contact with any components. It has been known that the acid on your skin can mess up components when heated up. ... sorry I digress... ;o)<br>

I would change cables before doing any of the above. Again taking care connecting the cable to the graphics card. (That plug/socket connection again).<br>

Another consideration! When was the last time you hoovered the inside of your machine?<br>

Using one of the brush attachments and gentely taking away all the fluff stuck in vents and stuck on fans. Also the fan and vents on the transformer.<br>

As it is an intermittent problem, it can be caused by components overheating at times. Ambient temp of the room can effect the efficency of the cooling in the machine.<br>

Having written the above and realised it's a mac. You probally have not the option to get into the machine, depending which one you have. The above process works for anyone using PC's. And rather than just delete it. It might beusefull to someone. At your own risk.<br>

The hoovering of the vents in the unit if it is a sealed one may cure it also depending on the age of the unit. It may prevent something overheating. Seeing that you say it is an intermittent one. Other that that I would have it serviced. That dependent on its age, new unit may the upgrade needed... :o)))<br>

You have not mentioned hardware details!</p>

<p>Good luck.<br>

K.</p>