Opening a studio

<p>Hi. My best friend and I have been working for a volume photographer for the past 3 1/2 years and have been shooting for our own business evening and weekends. We are allowed to use the studio where we work because our employer does not offer retail services and shoots on location at schools. We are both mothers and are planning on opening our own studio location in early 2011. The reason being, we are both very family-oriented and are tired of working 2 jobs. We are buying equipment and lighting over this year. We have had a website for a couple of years and stay pretty busy. We have been set up as a limited liability partnership, pay monthly sales tax and have an accountant. We are also spending this year researching and collecting advice. We realize that due to paying rent and other expenses we do not currently pay that it may be a couple of years or more before we begin to make a decent income. Can you current or former studio owners offer any advice that may be something we have not considered? Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Insurance might be one consideration from a pure business standpoint.</p>

<p>From a photography business stand - Is your current boss / employer okay with what you are planning to do and are currently doing? I'd be concerned if you "took" some business away from them. Also - make sure that any promotional photos you use are definitely yours and not property of the business that you are currently working for.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Thanks David. We have very briefly thought about insurance so thanks for bringing that up. Also, our boss is fine with our business since we shoot on our own time, he volunteered to let us use the studio since it just sits empty (it's in the next room from the office we work in all day). I am not concerned that we would take business from him because most of his contracted schools are an hour or more away from our hometown, except for the occasional senior that might wonder into our studio at that time. We primarily want to specialize in children's portraits which is what we are currently shooting and would also like to break into pet portraiture. If at all possible we would like to stay away from volume photography. Good point about the copyrights of photos and we certainly do not use anything but our own work. Your advice is great. Keep it coming if you think of anything else.</p>

<p>Frendships come and go. Sit down and put all the "what if's"on paper? Many friends loose intrest, move, etc.<br>

A lot don't realize what's involved, don't get caught holding the bag, or lease if your friend leaves. I wish you the best but I don't know of any of these that ever stayed together.</p>

<p>Thanks Jim. We have been shooting together now for about 4 years, but most importantly we have been friends for 5 years. We have discussed the "what ifs" in depth and have made a point to declare that our friendship comes first and foremost. Thank you so much for bringing up such an important topic. I appreciate everyone's responses. Keep it coming because we want to do this right and don't want to be looking thru rose colored glasses. Thanks again!</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Take a good accounting course related to small business and see a lawyer to verify who owns what and who is liable for what if you and your friend go separate ways. Hoping that every thing goes the way you plan it but friends and relatives were one thing the banks told me to avoid if I wished to stay in business. This was when I asked for a line of credit strictly for the businessin the 90's. The studio that another friend has that you will be using--what do you do if something happens and it has to be sold?<br>

Just some thoughts.</p>

• 2 weeks later...