Flash Bracket is getting too bulky

michael_scharf

<p>I am well aware of the pros and cons of using a bracket for wedding photography, however, recently I have

noticed a bunch of wedding photographers without brackets, which seems to be a shift from just a few years

ago.</p>

<p>Pros:<br />No Red Eye<br />Can bounce flash and just rotate the camera<br />Looks more proffesional (n

ot a reason to use one but it does have a wow factor)</p>

<p>Cons:<br />Big and bulky<br />Need e

xpensive TTL wires</p>

<p>For the past two years, I have been using the Justrite Pro without any complaints other than the weight. I'm just wondering if it is all just a waste. I try to bounce my flash a lot so it is helpful that you can rotate the camera instead of messing with the flash I just started using room strobes so the pocket wizard is just overloading an already heavy/bulky setup (Bracket, D300, 18-200, SD-900, TTL wire, PW with PC Sync).</p>

<p>Just trying to get a sense from those who don't use a bracket: 1. Do you have an issue with red eye? 2. Do you always bounce with something like the Gary Fong? 3. How do you attach your PW to your setup, if you use one?</p>

Even with the Gary Fong you can get red eye, although it's pretty unusual. I prefer using a bracket, not just for the red eye issue, but when there is a wall or something behind the subject you don't see the harsh shadows casted from your subjects by not using a bracket.

Outside scenes I'm usually not using a bracket. I'm using the Quantum Trio, which is mounted pretty high up from the lens, resulting in no red eye. At the inside of the reception halls I through on a bracket and use the Quantum T5RW's.

I suffer from back issues, had back surgery in 1989. Anyway, weight is also a concern for me and when shooting 2 weddings in a day I can hardly move the next day. I feel brackets are needed to get the perfect results you are trying to create.

A lot of people don't use brackets and are satisfied with the results. I guess there are different opinions for everyone, one of those situations in which it's a really personal theory, meaning no one is right and no one is wrong. I'm sure you will get a lot of responses from fellow photographers saying to ditch the brackets for reasons such as brackets slow them down when shooting 2000 to 4000, or more, images per wedding.

<p>i don't use a bracket and i'm happy with my results. i can see how some ppl like it but i myself never had a need for it. between bouncing the flash and using off camera flashes i get my shots. i think from all the weddings i've shot, i probably only had 2-5 images where i saw a red eye... i should probably look at them again and see why it happened on those specific ones.</p>

<p>and no...i don't use the tupperware either.. i find them ridiculously looking.</p>

<p>I actually use a bracket and don't use a bracket, depending upon how I am using the flash. When I don't use a bracket:</p>

<p>1. No red eye.<br>

2. I don't 'always' bounce, but when I do, I don't always use a modifier.<br>

3. My Cybersync transmitter hangs from one end of my camera, near the PC port. I have had flashes that were modified so that a miniplug port is on the flash. With those, I stick the transmitter to the flash with Velcro. However, PWs are bigger, and I've seen people use a straight bracket or a Custom Bracket Mini or similar to hold just the PW. You can see my set up in the following image.</p>

<p>I own a number of flash brackets. What I've ended up with is using the flash on the camera most of the time, particularly since I pretty much bounce off walls and ceiling whenever I can. I use the Presslite Vertex for a modifier if I want a modifier (mostly for tipping a bit of light forward), along with a customized A Better Bounce Card. I have and sometimes use a Demb Diffuser, Lightsphere, or an OmniBounce.</p>

<p>When I shoot outside against brighter light, I use the flash head directly forward. If I am shooting in a situation where subject shadow will show, I attach a simple flip bracket. I personally like the Stratos bracket, used 'backwards', so the standard is to my right when I am holding the camera. I also have a Custom Bracket Digital T, but the tension on the arm of that bracket can't be adjusted and I've ruined more than one off camera flash cord foot with the arm slamming down unexpectedly. The Stratos bracket arm tension can be adjusted. I have it set pretty stiff.</p>

<p>The reason I 'reverted' to a flip bracket (I have and still like my Custom Bracket EV) was because I do notice a difference in flash pattern fall off if the flash head is horizontally oriented and you are taking a vertical picture. Even if the on camera flash is used as fill, you can see that it is brighter in the middle and there is some (if small) fall off.</p>

<p>If I am shooting inside where no amount of bounce will make a difference, I use my ABBC with the flip bracket with the flash head turned sideways. This way, there is no turning of the head to do, and my flash is like a 6" diameter light source (more like the parabolic reflector of my 120J). Also outside at night where there are no reflective surfaces nearby. I also sometimes use the ST-E2 for a correctly aimed focus assist and trigger the flash on the bracket wirelessly (as a slave), as on a flip bracket, the focus assist can be aimed incorrectly for vertical shots.</p>

<p>I keep the bracket in the case used for holding my cameras when they are riding in the passenger seat between locations. If I think I will want the bracket, I bring it. If not, I leave it in the case.</p>

<p>Analyze how you use the flash--when subject shadows show, etc. Then figure out whether you can go without. By the way, I don't count weight as a minus. In some cases, it can actually help your balance and ability to squeeze the shutter without movement. And starting out carrying medium format cameras with big flashes, I am not bothered by weight that you get used to.</p><div>00VQj6-207191684.jpg.6472ab2922c29fb1c75ed1dedb0fa3a3.jpg</div>

<p>Also, on the issue of 'looking more professional'. That may be the case, and then again, today, it might have the opposite effect. The 'cool' photographers are the ones running around with no bracket, and sometimes, no flash on camera. Perceptions change. I would not take that factor into account. I do what I need to do to get my pictures the way I want them. If that involves a piece of gear, I use it.</p>

<p>I'm one of those that abandoned the bracket entirely for most of the reasons stated. I have a stroboframe which gets me off the hot shoe by at least a foot but the bracket is just so unwieldily. At least I got it cheap.</p>

<p>Most of the guys I shoot for use them but they were old film shooters so I wonder if it's just habit for them. I rarely see them bounce as they will generally shoot head on with maybe a diffuser over the flash.</p>

<p>Most of the time I'm using the bracket, Stroboframe camera flip model. I don't think it's bulky at all. Used to be more bulky when I was also weghted down with external Quantum Battry 1+ packs during my film days. I don't understand the premise of your question...how does the bracket become more bulky over time?</p>

<p>David--I think Michael is saying that with the recent addition of a Pocket Wizard having to go on the camera or bracket, he is thinking the whole rig is getting to be too bulky and heavy, and is wondering if the bulk and weight is worth it. Hence his 3 questions for bracketless people at the end of the text above.</p>

<p>Never used a bracket - I can't see the point of walking around with an iron girder hanging off the camera :-) And I've never had red-eye or harsh shadows in any pictures.</p>

<p>I bounce the flash wherever I need it but with a bounce card, as I don't have (or need) any diffuser domes. I often work with off-camera flash using a speedlight and PW receiver corded together on a small foot that I can put down/pick-up as I like. I sometimes even use the pop-up flash on my D700, if I think I need a little fill.</p>

<p>If you're looking for somewhere to put your transmitter when you've also got a speedlight in the flash shoe, then are alternatives to a bracket - such as mounting the PW to the tripod socket.</p>

<p>Thanks guys for all your help. I will try with and without a bracket at my next job during the down time and see if I notice a difference in lighting. I guess the only way to find out is to try it. One last thing...if you bounce and you don't use a bracket do you find it annoying and possibly extra wear on your flash to flip it every time you change your camera from horizontal to vertical?</p>

<p>No. However, if you point the flash up and behind your right shoulder (to bounce off the wall and ceiling corners of rooms--where they meet--or a backward bounce off the ceiling), you don't have to flip it at all when you change from horizontal to vertical. When you do flip, just pinch the lock--thumb and middle finger, one on each side of the flash head, and swing the camera, not the flash head.</p>

<p>I gave up brackets in the 90's. <br /> <br /> 1. Never, ever. <br /> <br /> 2. Always bounce. Don't really like the fong (with apologies to Gary) though I've used it, don't like the lighting scheme, much prefer a stronger 45 degree-ish directional modeling bounce or use an omnibounce.<br>

<br /> 3. I could use a PW as I have them, but I also simply use a $50 cord for off-camera. All my venue candids are off-camera flash if a flash is involved. Always. Having it off-camera gives me way more latitude and range than simply twisting the flash head on camera sideways to bounce, let me tell ya! It's more difficult to shoot because both hands are so occupied, but to me, worth the effort. Check out Cliff Mautner's work, he does this too.</p>

<p>Respecting those who have done this work for many years, I must now agree: flash brackets are often an unnecessary burden for modern wedding photography. The same can be said for huge Fong-like flash accessories and other excessive hardware.</p>

<p>The big Custom Brackets QRS-H2 I've had for three years is certainly better than the clumsy Stroboframe Camera Flip I owned previously, but it's now used only for formals. I mount the camera and CB bracket to my tripod Arca clamp, mount a flash head on top for fill, and rotate the camera as needed for the right composition.</p>

<p>These days I always shoot with two cameras, each with a flash head during the reception, so having one with a heavy bracket and one without makes little sense and produces no better results. I mostly bounce anyway, and sometimes use a Lumiquest Mini Softbox, Omnibounce, or card on each flash, depending on the venue.</p>

<p>You <em>can</em> have too much hardware for your own good. I'm reminded of a scene in <em>Jaws</em> , when Quint remarks to Hooper, "What are you? Some kind of half-a$$ed astronaut?<em>"</em></p>

<p>It's interesting how definitive people are on this subject ... as if everyone shoots the same way, in the same conditions.</p>

<p>One of my occasional second shooters is a much in-demand political event shooter who has shot Presidents, famous politicians, and even heads of foreign states at their request. He always uses a flash bracket ... a Stroboframe that he had modified by a machinist to add a second grip handle. He tends to NOT drag the shutter as much as I do, and tends to shoot close-up with direct diffused flash because the venues he works have less bounce opportunities. The bracket gets the flash up high to drop the shadows behind the subjects when working this close and with flash that direct.</p>

<p>Personally, due to the way I shoot, I haven't used a bracket for some time now. However, I am aware that when in Portrait orientation the flash is off to the side a bit, and can create 45º cast shadows in some cases ... not just to the side of the subject, but also on their face, arms and their flowers. If it is soft enough it isn't that noticeable, but in darker conditions where the flash is working harder and bounce in not practical, it can get harsh pretty quickly. My solution when possible is to orient the flash to the opposite side of where the prevailing ambient is coming from (if the ambient is camera left, I place the flash camera right). This works IF, like me, you tend to drag the shutter.</p>

<p>I use all sorts of diffusers, occasionally including the latest "Folding Fong" because it wraps the light when working closer ... don't care what it looks like if it works.<em> If I still used a</em><em> bracket, I'd never use a Fong because it is too heavy to be swinging back and forth all the time</em>. No one solution works 100% of the time. I often see photos from people who claim to rely on bounce, but when using the ceiling when up close in the middle of a venue space, this tends to light the top of their head more than the bottom. Most of the time I just use the diffuser that came with the flash ... or if at a distance with a longer lens, none at all. </p>

<p>For Pocket Wizards I use the PW Caddy that screws into the 1/4" socket on the PWs and has bungie-cords to fix it to a light stand pole or to a flash ... even your wrist if you use an on-camera flash + PW and do not want the additional top-heavy weight by attaching the PW directly to the flash. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>The reason this issue is so polarizing is because generally, newer photographers feel a bracket immediately brands you as old school, so they wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole, even if it would help their images. It's that simple. Me--I don't care what anyone thinks if I use a bracket or Lightsphere, etc. I use what gets me the results I want, which is why I use a bracket when cast shadows show, and not otherwise.</p>

<p>This is not to say there aren't very legitimate reasons for someone to never use a bracket, just that there is another reason for the polarization at work besides actual results.</p>

<p><strong><em>The reason this issue is so polarizing is because generally, newer photographers feel a bracket immediately brands you as old school, so they wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole, </em></strong></p>

<p>And for those of us that can remember... the infiltration of female photographers in this industry has grown by leaps and bounds so I would imagine that the extra weight would be an issue for this reason alone. Then again, I've seen some gals sling a 70-200 around like it was nothing more than a light handbag.</p>

<p>I don't have a flash bracket but I sometimes I wish I had one, for instance when forced to shoot on-camera flash straight on.</p>

<p>Red eye is a reflection in the eye so if the light doesn't come straight from the camera you wont get red eyes. Also light levels have to be low for the pupil to be dilated enough.<br>

So bouncing usually solves the problem but shooting two quick flash shots with a half second or so between them usually takes care of all problems.</p>

<p>Since I started using the Demb Flip-It, I don't use my bracket as often. But, when I need to use one, I've found the Demb flash bracket to be well designed and made, lightweight, comfortable and easy to use.<br>

<a href="http://www.dembflashproducts.com/bracket/">http://www.dembflashproducts.com/bracket/</a> <br>

<a href="http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/">http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/</a> </p>

<p>Russ</p>