40D + lenses: anything i should/shouldn't have?

donaldamacmillan

<p>Hello folks</p>

<p>Happy New Year! </p>

<p>I have the following kit for use with my 40D:</p>

<p>Canon 10-22mm f3.5etc EF-S (landscapes)<br>

Sigma 30mm f1.4 (landscapes, portraits, low light)<br>

Canon 60mm macro f2.8 EF-S (macro, portraits)<br>

Canon 70-200mm f4 L non-IS (portraits, telephoto work - i can't believe that i've got this lens, Santa was very good to me!)<br>

Canon 430EX speedlight</p>

<p>I use my 10-22mm probably more than 80% of the time, at the other extreme i probably use my Sigma 30mm less than 5% of shots. I've only just got my 70-200mm L lens but already i can 'see' myself using this lens a lot, particularilly outdoors in good light. I know that my macro lens will also serve me well as a portrait lens and i have used it for such purposes, being a faster lens it may be particularilly useful in low light but i'd expect some depth of field issues perhaps? Of course my Sigma lens is my 'true' fast lens for indoor portrait shots, and very handy generally outdoors too. </p>

<p>What i am therefore wondering is, in the opinion of the great many more experienced photographers who may take the time to read my post, am i adequately or even perfectly equiped as i am in terms of my lenses for my camera and for my general photographic interests (landscape and portrait mostly)? On the other hand, should i consider selling one or two of my current lenses and buying another, perhaps 'superior' (?), lens/lenses? I would consider parting with both my Sigma and my macro lenses and perhaps buying a really good general purpose zoom? But them would i miss my true marco capabilities (i think i would!)? And would i regret losing my only true fast prime (possibly)? <br>

What do folks think? Stick with the good quality lenses that i have got or adapt, evolve even, 'improve' my gear? I don't mind going from four lenses down to three so long as i've got three lenses that will do more-or-less everything that i want, very well! </p>

<p>Fingers crossed that this is the year that i actually get around to posting some of my decidedly mediochre images on photo.net! </p>

<p>Kindest regards to all<br>

Donald</p>

<p>I wouldn't give up macro. I tell everyone to get the 50mm 1.8, its too cheap not to get. With your 60mm, its not as necessary as it is to others, but it still wouldn't hurt. You may want to look at some pocket wizards, an off camera flash can always expand your possibilities. Do you have a good tripod? This is a must as well, especially for landscapes and macro.</p>

<p>Yes, i should have mentioned, i have got a sturdy tripod (manfrotto) and i've got a polarizer each for my 10-22mm and my 70-200mm. I also have a few 'Kood' ND and coloured fliters for using with my 10-22mm. Oh, and i also have a remote shutter release too, and an IR filter that i have used a few times. <br>

Any other accessories that might benefit me i'd be grateful to know about, but it really is my lens situation that is on my mind just now, not that i really am in a 'situation' at all, i'm just wondering if i could 'fine tune' my collection. </p>

<p>Many thanks folks thus far :-)</p>

<p>Only you know what works for you and if your happy with what you have why worry about it? I personally would find it annoying having no "standard" zoom to go from wide to short tele but that's me. I know people who use a similar setup to you and are happy.</p>

<p>I'd keep the 60mm and 30mm definitely, and consider augmenting the kit with a 24-105/4L IS. I wonder if it won't change your use percentage, and push the 10-22 range below 50%, not because they're equivalent and you'll take fewer wide angle, but because the short tele range is the most useful and doubles your possibilities. I'm waiting here for the dust to settle a bit from the latest binge before nuking the treasure chest with that one.</p>

<p>For the portraits, definitely some color correction gels for the flash, a sync cable or other remote trigger, and maybe a lightstand or justin clamp and umbrella, although a spare tripod and nearby walls for bouncing will do.</p>

<p>Keep the Sigma 30, it is essentially a 'standard' lens and great for group portraits. For tighter shots, your 60mm should do well, though I use a 85mm f1.8. Given your interests, I don't see a need for any other lenses yet and recommend buying one only when you find yourself wishing you had something in a ?mm length. What about graduated ND filters, a good bag or backpack to carry everything in the field would be high on my list. Remote triggers for your flash, light stand, umbrella, etc... if you really want to spend more time on portraits. You should use what you have for a few months and go from there. </p>

I don't believe I'm writing this but: how about studio flashes?

In my heart I'm an available light man but my love got us some huge flashes just as we started playing with macro and I

think they're great. And pretty affordable if you plug them into main. For macro and for portrait they are great fun.

Oh, and by the way, you don't need a 17-55.

<p>I'm a great believer in that old saying "If you don't know what you want you don't want anything."</p>

<p>That's not actually an old saying, I just made it up but, hey, it sounds impressive and I certainly believe it's true. Sounds to me like you've got the buyer's bug and you don't know what to feed it on. Resist the temptation, save the cash and spend it on something when you REALLY know you want it.</p>

<p>You have a nice collection of lenses, IMHO missing just a mid-range zoom. Maybe keep a notebook for a month or two, listing all the times you were shooting and felt restricted by not having a particular focal length or speed? That might point you towards a selection. </p>

<p>Each person will have there own preferences for lenses. All of the lenses you have have a good reputation and give you almost complete coverage from 10 to 200mm which is good. In terms of lenses I would suggest keeping what you have and saving up for a good mid range zoom like the 17-55. </p>

<p >I have a 40D with the following package of lenses, 17-40 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L non IS, 24-105 f4 L IS and 100 f2.8 L IS. I love every lens and they all have their uses. All these lenses will move with me when I pony up to a full frame and will continue to work super on my 40D which I will keep no matter what. </p>

<p >I use all these lenses depending on what I am shooting but the 24-105 is the one I use most because of the range and its sharpness. It is also IS so hand holding is more possible when the need arises, I usually use a tripod. I am extremely happy with my choices and they seem to cover the needs of my photography so far. </p>

<p >What I wouldn’t do is buy a lens specifically for a crop camera, this just a personal preference. I will say I agree with the above statements….you don’t need what you’re not sure about!</p>