Finding ways to gain experience

amandak

<p>I have an interest in photography and as of right now I take pictures for fun/ as a hobby. I got a Nikon D40 and am slowly learning everything it does and how to do it.<br>

I just did a photo shoot for my friend in one of her outfits (she's a costumer) over the weekend and I enjoyed it. I would like to gain more experience by doing more photoshoots but most of my friends do not like to have their pictures taken, so asking friends to use as subjects is a little difficult.<br>

I have emailed a few photographers in the area about having an interest in developing skills but most of them don't have a need for anyone right now.<br>

How else can I gain some experience, particularly with people? Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>If you belong to any social groups, like a church or synagogue, you approach the leadership there and volunteer your photography skills as a free service that will help promote the group's work. A lot of churches had membership books that will have a photo and some profile info about each member family. Perhaps you can volunteer to shoot a new series of family portraits for the church, with the option of selling prints to the family if they like the picture.</p>

<p>Check around for any photo 'clubs' where photogs get together to practice and exchange ideas. Does the friend you just shot photos for have any friends that might like some too? The church idea is a good one as well, many also have little sports 'leagues' for members that would need team/individual photos done (though that is quite a bit different than single/family portraits).</p>

<p>Check out <a href="http://www.ppa.com">www.ppa.com</a> for an affiliate chapter in your area. See if you can attend a meeting/program for a guest fee and then join and learn from professionals. Typically many photographers don't want to train people who will become their competition, so that may be contributing to the lack of cooperation....-Aimee</p>

<p>Don't shoot your friends, what did they do to you? :) Shoot their KIDS. Everyone love pics of their kids. And their pets. Teenagers and young adults typically love having their photos taken. Get a business card and hand it to a stranger while asking if you can take a few shots of the dog. Offer to do head shots for their Facebook and MySpace pages.<br>

<br>

Offer to do the annual family photo that no one wants to do but everyone has to. A group of all their kids. If they have family coming in town, ask to do a mini session.<br>

<br>

Put it on your Facebook page that you're doing free portfolio shoots. <br>

<br>

I have zero response from local photographers. What I do is book a wedding and then hire a photographer as a second for $1-200, and that's how I got "trained."<br>

<br>

A portrait party is a lot of fun: put it on your social network site with a date, time, and place, open invite, and email everyone you know, and offer free portraits (no prints, just digital files).<br>

<br>

I offer to shoot every directory for school, church, neighborhood, every party, gathering, friend's wedding, or function I shoot almost like I'm the hired photog. You'll get a lot of event practice that way and using your flash, but for the directory photos you can set up an off-camera flash and maybe a little softbox to practice location portraits.<br>

<br>

Take lots of self portraits, your own kids, your pets, and practice Photoshopping until you're sick to death of it. Learn Lightroom and PS inside and out. Don't mess with buying a bunch of plug-ins and actions until you can do the stuff on your own, and then buy carefully.</p>

<p>Kids sports is always lacking enough photographers.<br>

There are lots of kid plays and dances going on that need volunteer photographers.<br>

Contact the popular music instructors in your community and find out if they need someone to shoot their quarterly recitals.<br>

Contact local jewelry designers and see if they need someone to photograph models wearing their art.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>I bought a mannequin to help me learn studio lighting. She never complains and poses endlessly. My cat also loves to have his picture taken, so I have two sources to try new things out on. You can also attend functions in your community and take pictures there, like a jazz festival, etc. A real challenge can be to just go out in your neighborhood and force yourself to look for images - you might be amazed at what you'll find if you stop to look around.</p>

<p>Shoot, shoot, shoot! Always take you camera and find reasons to take shot s and work on processing them. Check to see if there are any "camera clubs", "Photography forums" , arts associations and groups that you can join or be part of. Then participate in shows that they sponsor. Develop friendships with other photog on a casual besis. If you see someone doing shots take the opportunity to ask what they are doing (what camera aret they using, what kind of photography do they do etc) maybe at some point they will tell you about places to go for shooting, invite you to join themetc. Do some portfolio reviews with photograhers you see exhibiting or are familiar with. Yu may have to pay for their time but it will pay off in the long run. Take some course throuh the local college or adult ed programs ; this will can both knowledge and contacts. Bt most importantly keep shooting and stretching yourself. - Charles</p>

<p>Actors usually like to have their photo made. What about local theater? You need practice and they need headshots, one smiling and one serious.<br>

Beauty parlors. Usually the stylist will want some photos of good work that they did with people.<br>

Under-publicized sporting events (or any kind of community activities). It's winter, but often on weekend mornings, when the rest of the world wants to sleep in, some folks go to sporting events to compete. Insane joggers + insane photographers = sports photo.</p>