70-300VR or no VR

emma_rice

<p>Hi Emma -- I just posted a "Blue Moon" photo, made with a D300 and the 70-300 VR G lens on the "Nikon Wednesday pic" forum, details with the posting. Check it out, if you like. It's a pretty nice lens, quite versatile, very useful as you've been hearing in this thread. Happy trails on your trip!</p><div>00VQvI-207307584.jpg.a1daa82f10a0ad728828e8f306192dde.jpg</div>

<p>The 70-300VR. Not the 70-300G, not the 70-300ED (not John, it is not better, and not even close). It's not the VR making the difference, but the fact that this is a completely new much improved optical design.</p>

<p>But are you sure you need a lens this long for the trip? If you want to take wild-life pictures, obviously yes, but for most other things, a shorter lens can be nicer (i.e. Tokina 50-135, though that weighs quite a bit).<br>

I read in the other thread you will get a 35 f/1.8 (good choice), but what other lens will you bring to cover the wider angles? What kind of photos do you expect to take most? A telezoom to me does not seem the most likely companion on a trip like yours (which, btw, sounds awesome - envy it!).</p>

• 2 years later...