Please help me give good advice to a digital "newbie".

asafrye

<p>My niece is interested in getting into photography. Isn't that great? So she sent me a message asking what I thought about the cameras she was considering buying. First is the Canon PowerShot G11; the other is the PowerShot SX20 IS. She thought I'd be the "perfect" place to start. (Isn't she a good kid! ; ) My two problems are: 1) I'm a Nikon man. I don't know much about Canons other than they are usually very good cameras; and 2) I think these are PS cameras which, again, I know little about since I've avoided them pretty much all of my photographic life. So more info. . .she wants a camera that will allow her to get to the advanced amateur level at least. Now I don't want to be an SLR snob to assume that she could never do "serious" photography with a PS. (I bet there are many pros that do it all the time.) So I'd like to know if anyone is familiar with either of these cameras or any other camera within the same class/price range (I'm sure this was a factor in her choice) and what, if any, suggestions you think I might pass on to my niece so that she can start her exciting journey into the world of photography! (Of course, I'll suggest that she open a p.net account and get active in the forums too!) Thanks!</p>

<p>I have both of these cameras.......the longer zoom on the SX20 may attract her more, but both cameras are certainly capable of 16x20 inch prints.....Actually, the SX10 might be better than the SX20.....it has fewer pixels, but less noise...Regards, Robert</p>

<p>If you check arround, you will see Canon's G11 and the Pansonic LX3 are two very capable cameras with full feature metering, good iso noise for a smaller sensor digital and shoots RAW. Yes, you can not change lens but the zoom lens that go with these camera are capable. </p>

The G11 is a much better camera for learning photography. The SX10 (and presumably SX20, which I have not handled) is big and heavy, much like a DLSR. If your niece is interested in bird photography, the Panasonic LX35 is less expensive and approximately equal to the SX models. The G11 has an optical viewfinder and rotating LCD, which you can tuck away to avoid damage. I would much rather carry the G11 than the Nikon D3000, which isn't really that much better (and possibly is worse) with regard to image quality.

<p>I had one of the pre-cursors to the G11 and it was a great semi-starter camera. I think the G11 would be an excellent camera. I recently got a S90 and you might want to suggest looking at that camera. It is very small and light and will allow full manual and RAW output, same as the G11. The big difference is how small and light the S90 is.</p>

<p>Best<br>

JPO</p>

<p>If she is really looking to get into the "advanced amateur" level with the first camera like you mentioned, she might do just as well to go with the Canon XS SLR. I think the price is running about the same as a G11 right now. I have the Xsi (very similar) that I got as a beginner, and have been really happy with it. </p>

<p>Thank you all for your responses! These are very helpful. Personally I'd be inclined to steer her towards some sort of DSLR, so Jennifer I'll mention the XS and XSI. For me, having the ability to at least do selective focusing and spot metering are critical to a photog's ability to exercise some of the basic concepts of creative image making.</p>

<p>New digicam like Canon G11 and Pansonic LX-3 can do selective focusing as well as spot TTL metering.</p>

<p>What it doesn't do is high speed phase detect auto focusing or 5+ frames per second continues shooting (so is a low end DSLR BTW). You have less DOF control and about two stops or so more noise from the smaller sensor. But what you gain in return is smaller size and weight. You also don't get to change lens but on the up-side, you also don't need to pay for expensive new lenses. IMHO, there is no single correct answers, both has it plus and minus. </p>